diy solar

diy solar

Warning - Do Not Use SolarWorld, LLC from Kemp, TX

HighJingo

Don't be fooled by the positive Youtube Channel SolarWorld LLC videos. Mark Millet damaged my four EG4 inverters by drilling 2" holes in the back of them to hide the wiring causing metal shavings to short the inverter circuitry and void the warranty with Signature Solar when they saw the damage. Signature Solar sent me the pictures below showing the metal shavings that damaged the circuit boards. Mark also hooked the wires up wrong and created a huge cloud of smoke in my garage when he flipped it on the first time. This damaged one of the PV input circuit boards on one inverter. Rather than honestly admitting he damaged the circuitry on PV1, he moved the PV input cables to PV2 on that inverter and tried to hide the issue. He also used too thin of wire on the connections between the transfer switch and the main electrical box. Eventually, after weeks of him ignoring me, he did pay to replace one inverter (which was an admission of his negligence) but he never installed it. He walked away from the unfinished job, stopped communicating, and ultimately breached our agreement. I had to replace the other three inverters and have another electrician finish the job and fix his errors. Look at his BBB profile. He has left multiple people hanging and did not bother responding to their complaints. If you don't want to take the BBB data or my word for it, contact Signature Solar and ask them if they recommend Mark Millett. They were wrapped up in the middle of this mess, saw the damage Mark had done, and saw how poorly Mark treated me. Signature Solar was amazing in helping me, but SolarWorld, LLC was horrible! If you are looking for an installer, stay away from SolarWorld, LLC from Kemp, TX. The owner - Mark Millett - damaged my four inverters and walked away. What kind of person does that?

Attachments

• Millet 6.5 pic.1.jpg
    Millet 6.5 pic.1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Millet 6.5 pic.2.jpg
    Millet 6.5 pic.2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Millet 6.5 pic.3.jpg
    Millet 6.5 pic.3.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Millet 6.5 pic.4.jpg
    Millet 6.5 pic.4.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
While hole saws and various cabinet alterations are the norm in the electrical field, it's a shame when it is carelessly done around high voltage electronics!

Wow.
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this thread though.
Maybe in the vendor review forum...

While hole saws and various cabinet alterations are the norm in the electrical field, it's a shame when it is carelessly done around high voltage electronics!

Wow.
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this thread though.
Maybe in the vendor review forum...
You're right, I didn't see that forum. Can you move this to the Vendor Review area? Thanks

Don't be fooled by the positive Youtube Channel SolarWorld LLC videos. Mark Millet damaged my four EG4 inverters by drilling 2" holes in the back of them to hide the wiring causing metal shavings to short the inverter circuitry and void the warranty with Signature Solar when they saw the damage. Signature Solar sent me the pictures below showing the metal shavings that damaged the circuit boards. Mark also hooked the wires up wrong and created a huge cloud of smoke in my garage when he flipped it on the first time. This damaged one of the PV input circuit boards on one inverter. Rather than honestly admitting he damaged the circuitry on PV1, he moved the PV input cables to PV2 on that inverter and tried to hide the issue. He also used too thin of wire on the connections between the transfer switch and the main electrical box. Eventually, after weeks of him ignoring me, he did pay to replace one inverter (which was an admission of his negligence) but he never installed it. He walked away from the unfinished job, stopped communicating, and ultimately breached our agreement. I had to replace the other three inverters and have another electrician finish the job and fix his errors. Look at his BBB profile. He has left multiple people hanging and did not bother responding to their complaints. If you don't want to take the BBB data or my word for it, contact Signature Solar and ask them if they recommend Mark Millett. They were wrapped up in the middle of this mess, saw the damage Mark had done, and saw how poorly Mark treated me. Signature Solar was amazing in helping me, but SolarWorld, LLC was horrible! If you are looking for an installer, stay away from SolarWorld, LLC in the Dallas area. The owner - Mark Millett - damaged my four inverters and walked away. What kind of person does that?

So assuming you mean the one in KEMP TX not Dallas - right??

He is bonded - so that means that most probably he has INSURANCE.

I would take the written report from Signature Solar and file charges in Small Claims Court. You can go up to $20,000 in Texas.

Small claims courts in Texas are relatively easy (as long as you have your paperwork together and don't fricking RAMBLE on and on in court) .. I would also not try to get Signature Solar involved becuase although YOU believe they will back you - They WON"'T .. They are NOT going to risk a defamation lawsuit from SolarWorld.

Anyway - slamming them on line is your right - although i have a feeling that this will bite you eventually - BUT gather up all the proof -- pictures - statements, HARD FACTS .. also show that you have tried to contact solarworld several times to no avial .. show PHONE RECORDS AND ALSO SEND THEM A CERTIFIED LETTER asking them to fix the issues that they caused ... it needs to be certified (you can look it up as to why)

YOU also need to get a REPAIR quote from Signature Solar -- you can ONLY ask for real damages in court -- not that they wasted your time or you are butt-hurt ...

I would say that they odds of your winning is 100% if you do this right ...

AND with him having insurance - instead of going to small claims court - he will just file this with his insurance company and they will pay

EASY-PEASY

YOU also need to get a REPAIR quote from Signature Solar -- you can ONLY ask for real damages in court -- not that they wasted your time or you are butt-hurt ...
Best idea yet, sort of a pain but most likely to get results.

Also, get an estimate for a 3rd party to install the repaired inverter. No need for you to do the installation your self or be out of pocket.

If one were to feel the need to do this - why not drill a much smaller hole (along with a shop vac on with the hose next to it) and use a hydraulic hole punch?

If one were to feel the need to do this - why not drill a much smaller hole (along with a shop vac on with the hose next to it) and use a hydraulic hole punch?

This, it is what electricians do, I have a Greenlee knockout kit all you drill is a small 3/8" or 1/2" hole and the use the knock out with a socket.
drive.

If you want to DYI, that's fine, but you need to invest in the correct tools for the job.

WTF did you do to our inverter?!
MY inverter!!!

And yes, the Greenlee Slugbuster set is my favorite. They make hydraulic ones that I used often…but personally I prefer the one that has the ratchet wrench and draw stud. They fit into tight spaces far easier than the head of the hydraulic version.

I think harbor freight even has a knock off version. At the end of the day there is no excuse to fill an inverter with shavings.

Tons of times we have drilled holes on the back and top.. side ... wherever -- on our inverters out here in south Texas (our inverters often go idle otherwise since we have 117 degree days out here often and we install a 3 inch high speed fan to push air around ...

WHAT we do differently then SolarWorld is to put a foam 8 inch long - 6 inch round foam tubing on the opposite side we are drilling and hook up our DeWalt vacuum cleaner -- that probably clears out 99.99% of anything that is getting thrown around ...

Back