diy solar

diy solar

Warranties 3 5 10 year, does this make a big difference in quality ? E4G or ?

1712257877035.png

Ripple current also causes temperature rise.

The mean time between failure rates are specced for capacitors so the manufacturer knows exactly the quality of caps they are getting.. and this is another "hidden spec" that will differentiate more expensive equipment from cheaper ones. This is also part of the reason why a lot of these "cheap" inverters/AIOs have excessive fan noise is because they need to keep the internal temp down to prevent premature failure of cheaper components they used.

The mean time between failure rates are specced for capacitors so the manufacturer knows exactly the quality of caps they are getting.. and this is another "hidden spec" that will differentiate more expensive equipment from cheaper ones. This is also part of the reason why a lot of these "cheap" inverters/AIOs have excessive fan noise is because they need to keep the internal temp down to prevent premature failure of cheaper components they used.
Which is okay overall as long as they have fail safes that will shut the machine down if a cooling fan dies.
And as long as the cooling fins themselves are standard sizes and are easily accessible I see that as a fairly decent trade off.

The old kenmore and whirlpool ones in avocado green and harvest gold that still work today. The street lights dim a little when they come on but they still work. The washing machines that you didn't have to wash twice or flush the tolite multiple times...the good ole days. I blame disposable diapers and lighters ..they started it all.
I bought the last generation Speed Queen that has no boards in 2014 and not one problem thus far...

Magnum MS4024 split phase transformer based inverter/charger, in a humid damp shed. Worked great for about 15years now starting to have voltage sense issue. Getting replaced soon with a cheapo AIO EG4 unit soon. I don't expect it will get even half the lifetime of the magnum.

The Xantreax MPPT 150/60 I have paired with the magnum still working great after 15+ years. Mostly sealed, no fans.

View attachment 207100

Ripple current also causes temperature rise.
Yep that is why I said in an "Inverter design".
I was really thinking only of the Battery Bank buffer capacitors which will always be seeing nice clean DC voltage. But your right there are lots of other capacitors that will be dealing with ripple voltage.
Assuming cool temps they will still fall into the 10 - 15 Year bracket for most good Caps and top brand ones will exceed 15 years. Piss poor ones will probably fail in 6-8 years.

Last edited:
Besides, you can’t update the firmware in those old clunkers, so where’s the fun in that? 🤪
Ones needs to update the firmware on the washing machine? So it doesn’t spit/splash back? Would that be an EG4 machine? 😁

Except you can pay for a new more efficient one in just a few years with the power savings. #Tradeoffs

And you get to do it again, and again, every few years!

Which is okay overall as long as they have fail safes that will shut the machine down if a cooling fan dies.
And as long as the cooling fins themselves are standard sizes and are easily accessible I see that as a fairly decent trade off.
If only it was that simple!
Cooling fans typically fail slowly and as they start to slow down the internal components are baking in ever increasing heat.
By the time the fan fails completely and temp alarms start going off it has typically already taken out a significant portion of the capacitors life.
I have replaced Fans in PC power supplies and typically the PS fails a few months to maybe a year later.
Today i just throw out the PS if the fan has failed and buy a new one.

Last edited:
Except you can pay for a new more efficient one in just a few years with the power savings. #Tradeoffs
The new ones last for a year or two before you have to call up home depot and go through days of back and forth with their India call center and Apu to get them to honor the warranty. Most times they will send out a tech to try and fix it a few times and each time it's a week or weeks before they get the parts..but in the end they still break because they are junk. From my, recent experience, don't buy a LG or Samsung. I lost so much food because of these new appliances and their so called energy efficient compressors. Also, don't get a fridge with the ice maker in the fridge compartment as opposed to the freezer section like it should be. What a headache and mess. If it hadn't been for me keeping my little old office fridge I'd not had a working fridge for almost three months as home depot gave me the run around.

The new ones last for a year or two before you have to call up home depot and go through days of back and forth with their India call center and Apu to get them to honor the warranty. Most times they will send out a tech to try and fix it a few times and each time it's a week or weeks before they get the parts..but in the end they still break because they are junk. From my, recent experience, don't buy a LG or Samsung. I lost so much food because of these new appliances and their so called energy efficient compressors. Also, don't get a fridge with the ice maker in the fridge compartment as opposed to the freezer section like it should be. What a headache and mess. If it hadn't been for me keeping my little old office fridge I'd not had a working fridge for almost three months as home depot gave me the run around.
I have been Telling people to stay away from LG and Samsung Fridges and Washers but most did not listen.
Now that there is a Class Action lawsuit going on over LG Refrigerators people are starting to listen.

That brings back a lot of memories. :) Thanks for the Link.
People don't have to worry about that anymore. Those Capacitors were all destroyed almost two decades ago, so nothing made today would have them in it.
One interesting side note they left out was that Rubicon had figured out that the guy was a Chinese spy and so they deliberately let him get access to an electrolyte formula they had on file that had failed long term testing and relabeled it to look like the current production formula.
At least One Billion electrolytic capacitors were made with that defective formula. In 2003 (I think) I replaced failed PC motherboard Chinese capacitors that were 3-5 years old. On the other hand, I had Tektronix electrolytic power-supply capacitors last 20 years of continuous use before I replaced those.

Back