diy solar

diy solar

What burns under water?

Apparently Li-ion! - if the cells are in thermal runaway, don't they release oxygen and combustable volatile compounds?
Perhaps the water is the conductor, leaked into the battery case and shorted the cells as a consequence of the accident?
Everyone remembers Science Class - Magnesium in water !

It was a Tesla, so an explody sodium [edit lithium] ion. But water shouldn't reach the cells themselves. No mention of crash damage. Just high voltage causing electrolysis of water? What ignited it? Oh, maybe the short circuit caused cell failure? BMS could have stopped. But maybe only for downstream shorts, and salt water electrolyte made contact before the protection?

Only magnesium dies young, Sodium is much more fun!

Last edited:
"People", that is a presumption. These days.
Perhaps the author's time budget was microseconds?

Or not:

This one:

"I am a digital journalist with over ten years of experience in journalism"

There is that number "10" again. Which means heavenly perfection? Or is that Earthly perfection? Or is it something from Buddism?
There is a deep meaning to the number being repeated, I'm sure of it ...

"People", that is a presumption. These days.
Perhaps the author's time budget was microseconds?

Or not:

This one:

"I am a digital journalist with over ten years of experience in journalism"

There is that number "10" again. Which means heavenly perfection? Or is that Earthly perfection? Or is it something from Buddism?
There is a deep meaning to the number being repeated, I'm sure of it ...
Only if you repeat it ...Ten Times!

I am an AI journalist
I have 10-months experience,
I have generated 10TB of text,
In ten subjects,
In Ten common languages
Working from my windows-10 interface,
At latitude 10N
Chitorgarh,
Bemusingly,
In my my half Do-decahedran, solar powered 10kW shelter...

Times:

'“In social media posts, our journalists must not express partisan opinions, promote political views, endorse candidates, make offensive comments or do anything else that undercuts The Times’s journalistic reputation,” the policy says.'

I think she's in a safe place now. Snickering about a Tesla practicing immersive self-immolation should be OK, so long as she doesn't try to link it to "climate change."

Hmm, she's presently with Go Media (according to her Linked In profile), but today's article by her is from Jalopik? Her employer prior to her fateful experience with Times/Wirecutter?

I wonder if the car warned the driver to get out because it felt itself slipping backwards? Or does it only do that when it experiences a hot flash?

Her doors wouldn't open. There is electrical failure under water, and then there is pressure on the doors. Her husband was able to open them, so must not have been due to pressure. Other incidents, driver was able to open by pushing hard manually.

Most of my vehicles have hand crank windows, but one is electric. There is an escape hammer cable tied to the door pocket.

Her doors wouldn't open. There is electrical failure under water, and then there is pressure on the doors. Her husband was able to open them, so must not have been due to pressure. Other incidents, driver was able to open by pushing hard manually.

Most of my vehicles have hand crank windows, but one is electric. There is an escape hammer cable tied to the door pocket.
As an avid Scuba Diver I use to think that so long as I was conscious it would be easy getting out of a sinking car and then I saw the Mythbusters Episode on the subject and I realized that it's way more difficult than I thought. ("The scariest Episode they ever filmed")

Now with EVs you have Fires and Equipment like door locks not working. It adds a whole new level of complexity.

Those bobbers moving ... reminds me of fishing :ROFLMAO:

Any pressure at all and you won't be able to open door. Once equalized you have a chance, but not if against the bottom, or snags, or if frame damaged.

Windshield cracked? I'd kick there. or use a hard object to break any windows. Close your eyes and turn away! The safety glass chips would fly in mixed with water. I think windows are the reliable escape path, so long as roof isn't caved it.

As an avid Scuba Diver

Do you always keep your bottles in the car? Secured?
I guess you could carry a spare air.

1699462124806.png

Any pressure at all and you won't be able to open door. Once equalized you have a chance, but not if against the bottom, or snags, or if frame damaged.

Windshield cracked? I'd kick there. or use a hard object to break any windows. Close your eyes and turn away! The safety glass chips would fly in mixed with water. I think windows are the reliable escape path, so long as roof isn't caved it.

View attachment 176732
The windshield would be the hardest to get out of. Rear window is the easiest glass to break. Side would be next. But, yeah, expect a shower of sharp glass cubes to fly at you when you break them.

The windshield would contain the vast majority of the glass, but it is SECURE in the vehicle and will be the most difficult to escape through.

A car salesman told me this little trick.
On most Vehicles if you pull out the Headrest and then find that the ends are pointy and solid, they can be used to Break open door glass in an emergency. I was told to hold onto the foam section and then whack the glass with the two prongs.

Here is the right method demonstrated in 30 seconds!

View attachment 176732
I use to have a few for diving but I never kept them in the car.
Today I use full fledged Pony bottles as those little spare air things are only good for a few breaths when your at depth. At 3000 PSI I don't keep Pony Bottles in the Vehicle unless I am going diving.

Last edited:
Back