diy solar

diy solar

What can I do for home battery system using 36v batteries?

karlbar2k

Hi all, I have found a reasonable amount of 36v lifepo4 batteries (50ah so 1.7kWh each approx) but when looking for inverter/chargers everything seems to be 12/24/48.
Are there any options available in 36v as a lot of these batteries seem to be available from the rail industry here in the UK?
TIA, Karl

You might be able to use a 60V inverter. I use one directly with solar panels. 72V is within their range. 60V systems have some popularity in Europe.

AIMS does/did make at least on 36 volt inverter, if you can find it. Some Victron SCCs can work at 36 volts.

If you can find out what cells are inside you could buy four 36V and dismantle to rebuild as three 48V as an example.
I did consider this but want to keep the integrity of the batteries if possible as they are good quality

You might be able to use a 60V inverter. I use one directly with solar panels. 72V is within their range. 60V systems have some popularity in Europe.
I tried searching for 72v and 110v (108) but again nothing like an inverter/charger for 48v.

So further digging and Eaton UPS stuff seems to have some 72v architecture but if utilising a UPS which is effectively a charger inverter how do you modify it to provide power based on draw and solar cycle? I know turning the power off to the input is going to make the UPS kick in and supply the load but how would yo go about automating it to mimic a hybrid inverter charger system?

Can those batteries actually run in series? Most lifepo4 batteries higher than 24vdc can't be put into series.

ive got a system comprising of 10 x valence 36v xp batteries which are what you have if im not mistaken , mine are set up in a 5 series 2 parallel bank which is around 200v DC , the newer inverters will work with these higher voltages . I have a SolaX g4 hybrid inverter and it works really well. You'll need a BMS to manage the batteries , ive had a genuine valence UBMS reprogrammed to work with my set up , its the only way to reliably and safely use the batteries , the UBMS controls a safety cut off relay. PM if you want any more info , Id be interested in 5 more batteries if you have a surplus. I have UBMS programmed for 5s2p set up of 36xp batteries to trade etc. cheers

Back