diy solar

diy solar

What conduit do I use from wireway to inverters?

Travis55

I have two LV6548 inverters and a 6x6 wireway.

1712958167964.png

I have a couple of beginner questions, I don't know much about conduit:
  1. Knockout hole sizes: The knockout holes on my wireway appear to be different sizes side by side. If the holes are different sizes, how do I address that?
  2. Conduit and bushing type: I'm considering using Liquid-tight Flexible Metal Conduit (LFMC) since my wireway holes don't perfectly line up with the inverter holes, and there's a slight angle. Is LFMC a suitable choice for this application, would that pass an inspection?

1. Knockout hole sizes: The knockout holes on my wireway appear to be different sizes side by side. If the holes are different sizes, how do I address that?
By my eye, they have (2) 1/2", (6) 3/4", (3) 1", and either a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2", can't tell. These are nominal trade sizes, not actual hole sizes.

The size conduit you need is determined by the number and wire gauges of the wires inside.
If the length of the conduit is less than 24", it is considered a "nipple", and the fill rules are relaxed.

The electricians should chime in on what is acceptable for code.

@ricardocello Thanks, so for the wireway, can i just punch holes anywhere with my knockout punch? (doesn't need to necessarily line up with those pre-measured areas? Or how does that work, I've never used a wireway before but I'm trying to make this a clean build.

i just punch holes anywhere with my knockout punch?
I did on mine so I could get things to align straight.
One problem with that is if you overlap the existing punch outs, the new hole will take the whole punch out with it, don't do that.

I've done exactly one wire way myself, so I'm only 1 ahead of you.
I think your LFMC approach might be easier.

But I'm not an electrician. Ask @timselectric

@ricardocello Thanks, so for the wireway, can i just punch holes anywhere with my knockout punch? (doesn't need to necessarily line up with those pre-measured areas? Or how does that work, I've never used a wireway before but I'm trying to make this a clean build.
Set the inverter on the wire way.

Trace the holes on the wire way.

Punch them out.

Use 5-6 inch EMT PVC between inverter and wire way.

If you go that route can you flip over the wireway and punch hole’s through flat metal ?

Unused punch outs shouldn’t fail code I would GUESS since all of my electrical boxes have unused punch outs.

Back