diy solar

diy solar

What Mini-Split did you use, and Why?

So, got this thing started today. My hvac guy connects the lines with noglock blue that prevents leaks, vacuums the system and does something else for $150. On cool mode, it was pulling 5.3 amps.
It heats well and it cools well. The blower from my high efficiency zero clearance wood burning fireplace makes more noise yet moves a lot less air.
One bummer is there's no indication what the temp is from the air handler. The screen that one would think is where one can control the unit besides the remote has 4 led indicator lights for various functions, but no controls and no lcd screen like any other inside unit would have, indicating the rooms temp. Now I understand what that 3 tap block is in the electrical box that has an x, a y and I think an e, one letter on each of 3 wire taps.

I called senville wondering how I'm supposed to know what the room temp is and whether the air handler knows (interestingly, the 12k in the master try's to show me what the temp is, but it doesn't know either. I set the temp to heat to 77 and in time the lcd reads anywhere from 81 - 83). They told me the only unit with the traditional lcd screen is the smallest at 12k btu. I have the mid sized 18k and then they've got a 24k I think. Some units sold in other countries might have the lcd regardless of size. Anyway, there sending me there wall mount thermostat & 25' of 4 wire cable and instructions to wire it, not to the xye block I mentioned previously but directly to the freakin mother board, for free.
This floor/ceiling mountable unit does move more air (750-1,250 sq ft area) than the traditional wall mountable unit (700-1,100),

I went MrCool. Precharged lines just make it easier. A little more expensive, but much less PITA. I'll trade a couple bucks for some sanity.

I went MrCool. Precharged lines just make it easier. A little more expensive, but much less PITA. I'll trade a couple bucks for some sanity.
I'd do that if they had any efficient machines. Best I see is seer2 in the low 20s

Senville was what my research led me to. $1,300 for this unit + $50 tax + $150 for hvac guy (now they're warrantied 10/comp 5 all parts) $30 to pour pad + $15 for the breaker + $15 for concrete bolts & masonry bit and the wire was stolen from the central air unit downstairs.
This is what they're sending me.

Senville was what my research led me to. $1,300 for this unit + $50 tax + $150 for hvac guy (now they're warrantied 10/comp 5 all parts) $30 to pour pad + $15 for the breaker + $15 for concrete bolts & masonry bit and the wire was stolen from the central air unit downstairs.
I think it's great they are stepping up and shipping that but the review doesn't look very promising... It's more than likely user error.

Shit. I haven't researched it at all. I'll try it out before I put wires in walls. Thanks 420.
I just read the few reviews. At least they don't censor negative reviews. I've got pics and wiring instructions from home slice tech guy at Senville, so I might be in good shape.

Does anyone happen to know why it's recommended to prevent the condenser from getting rained on?

So, got this thing started today. My hvac guy connects the lines with noglock blue that prevents leaks, vacuums the system and does something else for $150. On cool mode, it was pulling 5.3 amps.
It heats well and it cools well. The blower from my high efficiency zero clearance wood burning fireplace makes more noise yet moves a lot less air.
One bummer is there's no indication what the temp is from the air handler. The screen that one would think is where one can control the unit besides the remote has 4 led indicator lights for various functions, but no controls and no lcd screen like any other inside unit would have, indicating the rooms temp. Now I understand what that 3 tap block is in the electrical box that has an x, a y and I think an e, one letter on each of 3 wire taps.

I called senville wondering how I'm supposed to know what the room temp is and whether the air handler knows (interestingly, the 12k in the master try's to show me what the temp is, but it doesn't know either. I set the temp to heat to 77 and in time the lcd reads anywhere from 81 - 83). They told me the only unit with the traditional lcd screen is the smallest at 12k btu. I have the mid sized 18k and then they've got a 24k I think. Some units sold in other countries might have the lcd regardless of size. Anyway, there sending me there wall mount thermostat & 25' of 4 wire cable and instructions to wire it, not to the xye block I mentioned previously but directly to the freakin mother board, for free.
This floor/ceiling mountable unit does move more air (750-1,250 sq ft area) than the traditional wall mountable unit (700-1,100),
Ugh. I just pulled the trigger yesterday on the 18k floor model. So there is no indication of set temp or room temp the unit is reading?

I watched it last night.

Don't believe everything you hear or see. Many factors play into this such as the refrigerant used, delta T, how efficiency is being measured and the heat exchangers. If you check out Heat Geek's videos, you will he commonly gets systems above COP of 4 and higher.

Ugh. I just pulled the trigger yesterday on the 18k floor model. So there is no indication of set temp or room temp the unit is reading?
Use a wi fi app. If your unit doesn't have wi fi, then add a universal controller. I added one to my Pioneer floor mount, $80 from Pioneer but Amazon and Walmart online show the unit for about $30. You will need a proper voltage AC adapter. The small panel will show room temp (which isn't accurate) and you can control the unit on the touch screen or thru the app.

My Senville came with a USB wi fi adapter, it gets plugged into the inside head control panel. It uses the Alexa app and just plain sucks. I will be adding a universal controller to it that will get me away from the Alexa app. The room temp displayed for this unit is not accurate either. I know about what the difference is and adjust accordingly.

No, not without this thermostat that I posted above, though there is that xye block right next to the control wire connections that nobody seems to know wtf that is (the thermostat they're sending does not connect to this block, but instead connects straight to the mother board).

Senville tech rep answer to my question... why is it recommended for mini split compressors to be protected from rain & sun when central hvac units no not recommend this...

"Even though heavy rains cannot damage your AC unit, the winds accompanied by the same rain can leave dirt, leaves, twigs, and other debris to damage the condenser fan grille. Even objects falling on your unit, such as tree branches, from the storm can cause damage.
The units are all made from durable materials, however long term damage could be a risk."

how'd you get an HVAC guy to come do that?
I've emailed like 20 of them in my area non respond, I guess I'll start calling them lmao
I want to wire it, mount it etc all myself and just have them vacuum & charge the unit yea? that seems like all senville wants

Senville tech rep answer to my question... why is it recommended for mini split compressors to be protected from rain & sun when central hvac units no not recommend this...

"Even though heavy rains cannot damage your AC unit, the winds accompanied by the same rain can leave dirt, leaves, twigs, and other debris to damage the condenser fan grille. Even objects falling on your unit, such as tree branches, from the storm can cause damage.
The units are all made from durable materials, however long term damage could be a risk."
yea I think I'll put a little metal roof over mine, the cost for that is like $20 so whatever
Since the fans don't blow directly up like big units do, it doesn't matter

how'd you get an HVAC guy to come do that?
I've emailed like 20 of them in my area non respond, I guess I'll start calling them lmao
I want to wire it, mount it etc all myself and just have them vacuum & charge the unit yea? that seems like all senville wants

yea I think I'll put a little metal roof over mine, the cost for that is like $20 so whatever
Since the fans don't blow directly up like big units do, it doesn't matter
The hvac tech was once a co-worker of my neighbor who is basically and electrician and the guy, who with my help, who did the entire ac side of my hybrid solar inverter, transfer switch, etc. I would call them for sure.
They are "verbally" cool with us doing everything and I had actually found that written in their literature somewhere but I cannot find it now for some reason. The warranty reads "pro install + proof". Proof? They've got all the tech's info on the warranty cert. and more "proof" are the receipts he hand wrote for what he did.

I replied to this thread back when it started. I have two mini splits, a 8 year old Pioneer 24k and a 7 year old Senville 12k. They look the same and appear to have come from the same factory. The Senville however has been trouble free while the Pioneer is now offline and waiting for a HVAC technician for the second time. The first repair was a defective temperature sensor in the outside unit. This time while living with an unhappy and sweaty wife in 90°+ temperatures, exhibits the symptoms of a stuck or defective reverse valve. I checked everything I can and it looks like the R410 will have to be pumped out to either repair or scrap it. I have a new 24k Senville Aura high Seer unit in the Amazon cart, waiting for me to pull the trigger. Another gripe is while the Senville plays nice with the iPhone app, the Pioneer constantly puts up a fight. The latency is terrible and once I make a change and it not only takes forever to execute, but much of the time it will switch back to the previous setting. My only incentive to seek a repair at this time is to buy some time until I can replace it with a new Senville because I have too many projects in cue for the summer.

Back