diy solar

diy solar

Whats the deal with Energy Usage ratings?

Newenough

While looking at new refrigerators online Im coming across 2 ratings of kwh/year. One for the US and another for Canada with differing values (Canada's always being lower). I know its what/how they test but which is why I plan to just go with the higher number but just curious is all.

My words of nothing.....check for a damn automatic defrost, if off grid dont buy that fridge. 70% of my fridges power goes to running an automatic defrost cycle every 20ish hours. I have tried to cheat it unplugging the heating elements, to moving the heat sensor it will just error out. For those who live with me we have come to celebrate the defrost, wishing one another happy defrost cycle daily when we are around to hear it kick on or rev up the generator.

While looking at new refrigerators online Im coming across 2 ratings of kwh/year. One for the US and another for Canada with differing values (Canada's always being lower). I know its what/how they test but which is why I plan to just go with the higher number but just curious is all.

If I were to guess I would guess it might have to do with lower average temperatures in Canada.

How substantial is the difference in kw per year?

If I were to guess I would guess it might have to do with lower average temperatures in Canada.

How substantial is the difference in kw per year?
I can’t imagine indoor temps change much in Canada vs. USA...

In the USA, the EPA (Environmental Pollution Agency) decreased funding & support for Energy Star and reduced requirements. Trump does not like Energy Star, remember… https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...s-plan-for-energy-star-sparks-industry-uproar

Not everyone cut back on the program or instituted their own variations. Canada still continues to fully support & encourage Energystar compliance & improvement as do most in Europe & Asia as well. Even the fridge I have, there are two models, a Canadian on rated @ 527kwh per year and an American model rated at 587kwh per year... different PN and different hardware... seems awfully ridiculous doesn't it... but then Ridiculous is the boss in the USA...

I can’t imagine indoor temps change much in Canada vs. USA...

Well I'm not sure how large a difference we are talking in AH ratings per year, but I wouldn't be surprised if indoor temps differed somewhat. In places where well insulated homes with forced air thermostat controlled heating and cooling are the norm (i.e. harsher climates) temps are maybe more constant. But at least in the parts of California and Oregon that I've lived, almost nobody has air conditioning, and its not uncommon for the temps to hang out in the upper 70s to upper mid 80s. Maybe this isn't enough to make a big difference, or maybe it does, idk.

An example would be US 411 kwh vs 366 kwh for Canada. I would think the refrigerator wouldn't really care about being in a house at 72f in the US or Canada. Maybe Celsius is better for energy consumption....?. Thats 52wh vs 41wh.

Last edited:

Are you sure they are from the same rating agency? Canada has been using Energuide (black/white label all canadian appliances need, even non-energystar ones) and some EnergyGuide (Yellow label), and the US only the later, AFAIK... Energuide is not the same as EnergyStar, but many appliances are both. Confusing, yeah...just go with the higher number for your calculations.

In the USA, the EPA (Environmental Pollution Agency) decreased funding & support for Energy Star and reduced requirements. Trump does not like Energy Star, remember… https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...s-plan-for-energy-star-sparks-industry-uproar

Not everyone cut back on the program or instituted their own variations. Canada still continues to fully support & encourage Energystar compliance & improvement as do most in Europe & Asia as well. Even the fridge I have, there are two models, a Canadian on rated @ 527kwh per year and an American model rated at 587kwh per year... different PN and different hardware... seems awfully ridiculous doesn't it... but then Ridiculous is the boss in the USA...

Sure, why not blame Trump for your Shun-Bin batteries too? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Are you sure they are from the same rating agency? Canada has been using Energuide (black/white label all canadian appliances need, even non-energystar ones) and some EnergyGuide (Yellow label), and the US only the later, AFAIK... Energuide is not the same as EnergyStar, but many appliances are both. Confusing, yeah...just go with the higher number for your calculations.
Yeah, one is yellow (energy star) the other black/white. But you would think they would be at least close to the same. Watts used in 24hrs are what they are. Unless they test in a different ambient temp. I know my wife loves 80F in the house...me, not so much.

"In the USA, the EPA (Environmental Pollution Agency) decreased funding & support for Energy Star and reduced requirements. Trump does not like Energy Star, rHe instead proposed allowing the EPA to fund the energy efficiency certification through fees charged to companies that use i emember… https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...s-plan-for-energy-star-sparks-industry-uproar "

If you read the article its pretty clear that they didn't want to do away with Energy stat but instead get the manufacturers to pay for it instead of the govt.

"He instead proposed allowing the EPA to fund the energy efficiency certification through fees charged to companies that use it"

The reason is:
  • The Canadian government made a law.
  • The United States government made a law.
Those laws are different.

Isn't government grand? ?

Back