diy solar

diy solar

What's the port cover called to run wires from outside to inside my house?

bulrush

I want to put solar panels outside my home. The front of my home gets good southern exposure (for Michigan). But all other equipment I want to keep inside the house, like batteries and charge controller. My house is likely cement block in the front. What's the thing called that would be a weatherproof port to pull the wires through into my house? And which one should I use?

p.s. I would need a drip loop on each wire, I can do that myself.

Hey Rider that's a very professional and nice looking cable entrance method, didn't even know those existed! The name for it is kind of weird though, but I'll never forget it!
That particular one is designed for mobile homes, etc... but the gland is a standard electrical waterproof connector available anywhere. I use them a lot, even used them on my Slingshot trailer to keep the electrics dry.

Wouldn't I also need the proper electrical conduit for that? Albeit a short length of about 8 inches or so to pass through my probable cinder block wall.

Yes, and you should very slightly angle that conduit down so if any water does find it's way in it will flow out.

For my ham radio antennas that I need to swap out often I just ran a short piece of 1.5" pvc pipe through the wall (siliconed in) with a 45 degree elbow facing down on the outside. I can swap cables and then just stuff it with insulation to keep weather and bugs out. Not the right way to do it but great for experimenting and can easily be capped off when not in use with standard pvc caps.

Wouldn't I also need the proper electrical conduit for that? Albeit a short length of about 8 inches or so to pass through my probable cinder block wall.
Here are some basic drawings showing the different ways to enter a home with electricial wires, ie overhead, underground etc.

Yes, and you should very slightly angle that conduit down so if any water does find it's way in it will flow out.

For my ham radio antennas that I need to swap out often I just ran a short piece of 1.5" pvc pipe through the wall (siliconed in) with a 45 degree elbow facing down on the outside. I can swap cables and then just stuff it with insulation to keep weather and bugs out. Not the right way to do it but great for experimenting and can easily be capped off when not in use with standard pvc caps.
Roger that but your using coxaial cables and RF, so anything goes! Over.

Back