diy solar

diy solar

When does Aims Inverter/Charger start charging battery?

Stephen InGeorgia

I have a 12V to 240Vac Aims Inverter Charger (PICOGLF40W12V240VS). The unit is set to prefer batteries and runs flawlessly to power a deep well 1.5hp pump. Sometimes, the batteries get to a low state and the Aims charger will kick on and charge them from the house. Normally charged from a MPPT charger.
The low voltage disconnect is set at 11.5V per DIP switch 1, so I'm assuming the charger kicks in before that. I don't see any reference in the users manual: https://www.aimscorp.net/documents/PICOGLF1-6W 4821.pdf

Question: Does anybody know what voltage (or conditions) the Aims charger kicks on at?

Three relevant quotes from the linked manual:

"If the charge maintains the float state for 10 days, the charger will deliberately reset the cycle to protect the battery."

"Only when the battery voltage reaches the low voltage alarm point (10.5V for 12V,21Vdc for 24Vdc, 42Vdc for 48Vdc) will the inverter transfer to AC Input, charge battery, and switch back to battery when the battery is fully charged."

"Note: In battery priority mode, when qualified AC inputs for the first time and the battery voltage is below 12.5Vdc (12.5Vdc for 12Vdc, 25Vdc for 24Vdc, 51Vdc for 48Vdc, the inverter will go into battery priority mode only after a cycle of bulk charging and absorb charging is finished. The inverter will not go into float charging mode. "

Perhaps the rule in the first somehow influences the third.

I guess the low battery trip and low battery alarm are the same, in my case 11.5v. That seems like how the system is responding, as I know my MPPT charger is reading about .1v higher than what the battery is reading. I saw 11.8v on the MPPT and the charger kicked in to top off the battery which surprised me.

Perhaps the more relevant information is on page 16 of the users manual. It is actually under the sw5 heading.

Back