diy solar

diy solar

who is still burning wood in april?

I ran across these this fall, 535 gallon and ASME rated. Cost was $600 each. I have another 370 gallon buffer tank, same height but slightly less diameter. I bought that for $175, too cheap to pass up. Expansion tank will cost me dearly.

Boiler will be an older Eko, the guy sold it to me cheap enough and threw in extras for free. He was 83 years old and his wife told him he was done burning wood. Eventual plan is staple up radiant on main floor of house, kids are moved away and we don't need to heat upstairs. I will add a coil to furnace for now, too many other projects to take up my time. Eventually I will add an air to water heat pump even though we can heat the house with the heat pump mini splits, I want that energy storage. I look at the tanks as just another battery.

View attachment 213635
nice! Did you get both of them?

nice! Did you get both of them?
Sure did, that is my storage shed.

It's all sitting there waiting for the new garage it is going in. 3 tanks, EKO gasification wood boiler and even a heat dump coil for any overheat.

Need to source a good scale yet to weigh the wood according to needed tank temp desired increase.

I have a shop solar system taking up my time now, getting ready for array foundation if I can get the right weather timed with my work schedule. Once that is done, the array will go up quick. Then build the battery bank.

Sure did, that is my storage shed.

It's all sitting there waiting for the new garage it is going in. 3 tanks, EKO gasification wood boiler and even a heat dump coil for any overheat.

Need to source a good scale yet to weigh the wood according to needed tank temp desired increase.

I have a shop solar system taking up my time now, getting ready for array foundation if I can get the right weather timed with my work schedule. Once that is done, the array will go up quick. Then build the battery bank.
Gotta admit I am lucky I can arrange my schedule to suit myself makes it easier

Stone fire ring, not much control over embers. When I can like sit there with morning coffee and watch the sun rise.

I have no Idea about your fire rules, but here on the wet side of Washington State these are not considered open fires. They are always allowed, It may be worth checking into.

We have one just like it that my wife found and brought home. It was old then, and that was about 12 years ago.

so not having taken time off during golden week due to work requirements, i chose to take an extended weekend at the cabin, friday through today, (Wednesday) so friday, and saturday temps were OK stayed right about 16°c at night and ranging up to 22°c in the day but then sunday it started raining and temps dropped to 6°c while it poured... man talk about sudden changes. I had to get off my lazy bum and carry wood in as i thought I was finally done for the season.

one minute its T shirt weather and the next its long johns level...

I'm expecting 41F/5C this weekend at my place in the mountains so I expect I'll be starting a fire one more time.

I'm expecting 41F/5C this weekend at my place in the mountains so I expect I'll be starting a fire one more time.
I love the smell of the wood stove, the occasional crackle of a log that was not perfectly dried (i know, 20% or lower.) But there are times when mother nature is just flat out rude. I was busy rearranging my fire wood racks as I split out 2028's firewood and here I am digging out the leftovers from the 23-24 season to finish out the last couple of cold snaps...I had already put them with the 24-25 stock... damn 1st world problems!

I love the smell of the wood stove, the occasional crackle of a log that was not perfectly dried (i know, 20% or lower.) But there are times when mother nature is just flat out rude. I was busy rearranging my fire wood racks as I split out 2028's firewood and here I am digging out the leftovers from the 23-24 season to finish out the last couple of cold snaps...I had already put them with the 24-25 stock... damn 1st world problems!
I have an old Wonderwood. It is fugly but holds a ton of wood and could care less if it's green or dry. I much prefer dry just due to less chimney cleaning needed but the semi-green stuff from last fall definitely lasts a long time.

I have an old Wonderwood. It is fugly but holds a ton of wood and could care less if it's green or dry. I much prefer dry just due to less chimney cleaning needed but the semi-green stuff from last fall definitely lasts a long time.
yeah I try to season mine properly. so far I can go an entire season on the weekends and not need to clean the flue, though I do it at the end each year just out of contrariness. with the quantity of soot (lack there of) that I get I could probably run an entire season of daily use and not clean out till the end of the season.

Sitting by the diesel heater rather than the wood stove this morning, 23°F. My daughter next door is going to have 3 huge 100+ year old ponderosa pine trees cut down when she goes full solar PV this summer so that will be enough firewood for years.

Sitting by the diesel heater rather than the wood stove this morning, 23°F. My daughter next door is going to have 3 huge 100+ year old ponderosa pine trees cut down when she goes full solar PV this summer so that will be enough firewood for years.
dry it out well and its almost as clean as hardwood. university of Georgia did a study in the 90's where they found out that properly seasoned coniferous trees were actually cleaner burning than halfway seasoned deciduous trees. it seems wet Oak or any other hardwood creates more creosote than properly dried SPF's do.

yeah I try to season mine properly. so far I can go an entire season on the weekends and not need to clean the flue, though I do it at the end each year just out of contrariness. with the quantity of soot (lack there of) that I get I could probably run an entire season of daily use and not clean out till the end of the season.
Even with the occasional green wood we only have to clean yearly.

back at the cabin with the family this time. first night the temps were tolerable with no heat. today (Saturday) I fired up the wood stove at about 1730 as the sun went down it got cold fast... Damn Global Warming!

back at the cabin with the family this time. first night the temps were tolerable with no heat. today (Saturday) I fired up the wood stove at about 1730 as the sun went down it got cold fast... Damn Global Warming!
Fired mine up last night, we bottomed out about 42°, on top of the mountain they hit 30°. Also had northern lights Attachment.jpeg

Fired mine up last night, we bottomed out about 42°, on top of the mountain they hit 30°. Also had northern lights View attachment 214660
last time I saw the northern lights (only time) was int he 70's as a kid in rural Indiana. i remember my mom and dad were all excited as the news had reported that NASA expected them to be seen as low as Kentucky.

I am very, very jealous of people in the states (and other countries/locations) that can see this spectacle

I understand people being excited about auroras but for me they are mainly Meh as we see them all the time here. Also day is almost 17,5 hours long now so only few hours dark enough to see anything. Heard they were nice but was sleeping.

Hopefully I can finally turn heating off tomorrow. It seems summer is finally coming according to forecast. Solarwise it has been spectacular with 2,6MWh produced already this month averaging 240kWh/day. ~300kWh today.

Back