diy solar

diy solar

Why do I never have the correct size of anything, ever?

carbon60

Solar Enthusiast
So I want to top-balance and capacity test a batch of 16 LFP cells, right?
  1. I have an 18A bench supply with terminals that measure around 4.88mm and captive thumb screws that don't come all the way off. So I need spade terminals or some kind of banana plug that goes straight in.
  2. The capacity tester has #8 screw terminals, so that's relatively easy.
  3. I bought nice ultra-flexible silicon wire: 10 AWG, so I can get full power down to the cells.
  4. The LFP cells have M6 terminals.
  5. My soldering iron isn't powerful enough to solder the 10 AWG, it just sucks the heat away too quickly.
  6. Apparently ¼" is just slightly smaller than M6, so those ring terminals won't work, FFS.
FML!

Not having the right mix of cable lugs held up my project for days. Very frustrating. Sometimes you can get the stud sizes from documentation available on the manufacturer's website and the rest of the time you don't know until you have it in your hands.

My amazing super power is getting every tool out of the box, not putting them back and then not being able to find the one I want when I need it ... one of these days, I will put every tool back where it belongs when I finish using it....

6mm is 0.236in so 1/4" is larger than 6mm. A 1/4" ring terminal should fit on a 6mm stud no problem.
You make an excellent point. I didn't question the size, since I ordered M6 studs. They are actually M8, or just slightly smaller than 8 mm diameter studs. So I need 5/16th rings.

My amazing super power is getting every tool out of the box, not putting them back and then not being able to find the one I want when I need it ... one of these days, I will put every tool back where it belongs when I finish using it....

I swear I can put a tool down, turn around 360° and it's gone. It's like I need GPS tracking on them.

I need a system for 310 sockets. That's going to get expensive.
frown.gif

Sometimes I’m holding the tool I’m looking for; .... getting old sucks....
Yeah. I don't know how many times I've been talking on my cell phone and I need to look something up on the Internet so I start walking around the house looking for my phone. :rolleyes:

They are actually M8, or just slightly smaller than 8 mm diameter studs. So I need 5/16th rings.
5/16" ring terminals will work just fine on 8mm studs. 5/16" is 7.938mm but the 5/16" ring terminal holes are actually slightly more than 5/16".

I need a system for 310 sockets. That's going to get expensive.
frown.gif
I just keep two sets of sockets and wrenches. In cases where I commonly need two of a size at the same time I have a third. But the darn things still get spread out between the garage, the trailer, and the house. Lots of exercise walking around collecting scattered tools.

Back