diy solar

diy solar

WiFi options for International (Jamaica) Move

Nathalie W

Need help figuring out how to have WiFi in Jamaica (overseas).

Background: I am a new (29 Aug 2019) retired disabled U.S veteran (served active duty as a medic in Air Force almost 16 years, been to Iraq & Afghanistan and seen a lot of horrors) getting ready to move out of the U.S to Jamaica(Ja) (in the Caribbean) to live an off-grid self-sustaining life (own power, own water, WiFi [if possible], own food, and compostable toilet[sewage]). I am originally from Ja and left at aged 18 in 1997 to live in the U.S. I don't really know how the Internet works in Ja yet, but I know I don't want to be in the urban area or anywhere close to an urban area to have access to the Internet. Any thoughts on how I might do this....Will's idea on the 4G LTE Router + Net Buddy Unlimited Hotspot SIM card seems like a great idea...but that is here in the U.S....any thoughts you guys? I am hoping to find land to purchase by May 2020, so I am currently in the planning to move stage! I have gotten rid of most junk [furniture, clothes, etc.] between 2017 to 2019...and will get rid of the remaining books and textbooks I have had for too long to just GO! So any thoughts on how to get internet in Ja while living in a rural area [away from "civilization"]?

Starlink will give you internet no matter where you are, but you may need to wait a few years, I believe they will start commercial services in the US next year.

In the meantime you can purchase the current satellite internet and use that, someone like Hughesnet. Yes it's a bit crap, 1000ms ping, but can you tolerate it for a few years?

I'm not sure I'd base my decision on where to spend the rest of my life on 4g signal, when that seems to be an issue soon to be resolved.

Saying that, it looks like you'd have to go out of your way to avoid having 4g access. Just get a big 4 antenna on top of your house. Check out the Mikrotik LTE SXT https://mikrotik.com/product/RBSXTLTE3-7

or

What is Digicel 4G Broadband?
Digicel has built a brand new network, powered by WiMAX technology that covers 64% of the Jamaican population with the Island’s fastest wireless internet. With speeds up to 6 Mbps, you can stream movies, play games and video chat online to your heart’s content.

Attachments

• 1573480183069.png
    1573480183069.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
ScoTTyBEEE,
Thanks for the prompt response and the article from Wikipedia (I read it), very intriguing read. As it stands, moving between OH and TX and vice versa and trying to wrap up things from military life (sell my house in OH to purchase land in Ja....while checking on my house in TX from my first 11 years being stationed in TX....and using TX house as a base ground in between the U.S and Jamaica), I can say Spectrum (Internet/Phone/Cable Provider) can't even get me cell phone service on a $200 piece of "smartphone" initially purchased for TX service area in OH service area (because they are in different "zones"). So a cell phone I bought 28 Sep 2019 is still sitting in it's packaging and Spectrum ain't doing anything to get me service on this phone.

So, while the Wikipedia article on Global service sounds awesome, the reality currently and within the foreseeable year [through to Nov 2020] seems almost like an impossibility. After all "man" allegedly landed on the moon 20 July 1969, and it is 50 years later and we still have done nothing to advance anything. The Wikipedia article claimed that satellites were successfully launched 22 Feb 2018 [2 satelites] and 24 May 2019 [60 satelites], with 60 more scheduled to launch today (Veteran's Day, 11 Nov 2019) and 120 more before the end of Dec 2019. I will keep my eyes and ears open on this.... thanks once again! My question to the community at large as ScoTTyBEEE "How many satelites need to be launched before humans on earth start to get internet services all over the tiny globe of earth?"

Starlink will give you internet no matter where you are, but you may need to wait a few years, I believe they will start commercial services in the US next year.

In the meantime you can purchase the current satellite internet and use that, someone like Hughesnet. Yes it's a bit crap, 1000ms ping, but can you tolerate it for a few years?

I'm not sure I'd base my decision on where to spend the rest of my life on 4g signal, when that seems to be an issue soon to be resolved.

It is years away, but it's something to think about in the back of your mind. I moved house a few years back and went from 100mb to 3.5mb internet, and whilst it was painful, I managed with it for 4 years until faster internet arrived. It may be a similar scenario you need to deal with.

The first link said the item [Mikrotik LTE SXT] is discontinued, and a few of the areas I was looking to purchase land in didn't have coverage....probably one of the 36% areas of the Digicel you are taking about....but you know WHAT....you rock! You provided me with information I didn't have before and that I will continue to explore...maybe by the time I am somewhat settled.... Elan Musk and his team will realize "global" internet connection. Thanks again!

On a side note, the land with a natural water source and certain mature fruit trees are more important to me than if I have internet service. It's one of my final vestige of the "old life" I am still hanging on to....but will probably eventually shed as I have other things in life.

Saying that, it looks like you'd have to go out of your way to avoid having 4g access. Just get a big 4 antenna on top of your house. Check out the Mikrotik LTE SXT https://mikrotik.com/product/RBSXTLTE3-7

or

What is Digicel 4G Broadband?
Digicel has built a brand new network, powered by WiMAX technology that covers 64% of the Jamaican population with the Island’s fastest wireless internet. With speeds up to 6 Mbps, you can stream movies, play games and video chat online to your heart’s content.

ScoTTyBEEE,
I will (was drafting up my response saying exactly that to your second response). Thank you so much! I will be following this specific thread, so if anything else comes to mind for you or anyone else...please let me know....since I have many logistics to iron out.....the WiFi come secondary to things I need for living/sustaining life and for protection (as being a returning ex-pat....I have pretty much a bounty on my head to be eliminated....I discovered this when seeing a fellow Jamaican furiously defending the "safety" of Jamaica....I did my own research and saw the ugly truth....but it doesn't matter where I die...I just want to get away from most of it and enjoy the food I grew up with....what I missed the most in that country).

It is years away, but it's something to think about in the back of your mind. I moved house a few years back and went from 100mb to 3.5mb internet, and whilst it was painful, I managed with it for 4 years until faster internet arrived. It may be a similar scenario you need to deal with.

Ja WIFi and wireless internet provider web sites addressing the subject are plentiful. Once you have selected your remote, off grid location, see what cell providers servicing your area offer for internet access.

offgriddle,

I did that for one property for sale I liked, but the coverage when I searched then wasn't available. Since realtor response was ZERO on that and any other property since Dec 2018 through around April 2019...I have stopped looking into any type of internet connectivity for now....but as I am no longer active duty in the U.S military, I have a lot more freedom to start making my dream a reality and thus, I am seriously digging deep to get the planning stage underway so the implementation stage will hopefully go smoother as I am doing it ALL on my OWN. and I have not done anything like this before....

Ja WIFi and wireless internet provider web sites addressing the subject are plentiful. Once you have selected your remote, off grid location, see what cell providers servicing your area offer for internet access.

I cannot speak to your Jamaica specific query but I live remote & rural, no phone lines, or powerlines, quite off-grid. Cell Phone access is, well, one of those stand here & hold out your left arm and wiggle your right foot and maybe you get signal, deals... If there are no squirrels chasing the signal.

I'm connected to the Internet with Satellite (XplorNet via Hughes Network) with no issues. I an stream, play real time WoW and other "games" as well as use Virtual World software (extremely demanding bandwidth wise) with no real issues either. I can tether my phone to the router Wifi or use my PC as a wifi hotspot even.

Just another possible option, if it is even available from Jamaica, it may be worth some consideration in any case. One big advantage, your independent of the wires and any associated issues with them. Think storms etc....

Steve,

Too funny with the wiggle and the squirrels chasing the signal bit. I will definitely review all the suggestions on this thread. Thanks!

I cannot speak to your Jamaica specific query but I live remote & rural, no phone lines, or powerlines, quite off-grid. Cell Phone access is, well, one of those stand here & hold out your left arm and wiggle your right foot and maybe you get signal, deals... If there are no squirrels chasing the signal.

I'm connected to the Internet with Satellite (XplorNet via Hughes Network) with no issues. I an stream, play real time WoW and other "games" as well as use Virtual World software (extremely demanding bandwidth wise) with no real issues either. I can tether my phone to the router Wifi or use my PC as a wifi hotspot even.

Just another possible option, if it is even available from Jamaica, it may be worth some consideration in any case. One big advantage, your independent of the wires and any associated issues with them. Think storms etc....

Back