diy solar

diy solar

Will I get any charge at all if parked behind the house with no direct sun?

Gueyog8a7

Will that be 0 or just greatly diminished? I am parked on my mums drive and the parking spaces or on the north with the building blocking the sun.

It depends greatly on the SCC and your panels. Shaded panels deliver 1-5% of their nominal power
With simple PWM controllers, you will get a tiny charge out of that.
Some "better" MPPT controllers won't even start. Especially if you use 19V panels on a 12V battery. Shaded, the panel clips to the battery voltage and the SCC requires at least 5V above battery voltage to start.

It depends greatly on the SCC and your panels. Shaded panels deliver 1-5% of their nominal power
With simple PWM controllers, you will get a tiny charge out of that.
Some "better" MPPT controllers won't even start. Especially if you use 19V panels on a 12V battery. Shaded, the panel clips to the battery voltage and the SCC requires at least 5V above battery voltage to start.
Thanks. I shant hold my breath then.

2x 100w renogy black division flexible panels and tracer 4215bn.

Maybe I will just ground deploy in the back garden to charge and move the whole kit back and forth to the van until I am mobile!

Last edited:
Thanks. I shant hold my breath then.

2x 100w renogy black division flexible panels and tracer 4215bn.
That is a pretty bad match: the SCC is largely over-dimensioned and problably won't even start on the weak panels voltage when shaded.
Put the panels in series, but you will probably get no luck.
With such low power panels the best is to get them in // and use a plain PWM controller

Back