diy solar

diy solar

Will Solar Assistant work with Growatt hybrid tl-xh inverter when gridtied ?

I don't use Home Assistant (I use Smart Life), but I should look into it one of these days since it probably does more than Smart Life. I never thought of putting automation on the inverter, and since I only have one, as you say, not sure how it could help. UNLESS it could reboot the inverter remotely without disconnect the AC, DC and battery. That would be a handy feature to have to clear faults.

I have to say that after a week or so of playing with it, I'm not terribly impressed with Solar Assistant. Here's why:
  • It doesn't provide net import or export info. It does provide grid used and grid exported, but you have to do the math for the net value. Plus, it is kind of buried. You certainly can't get it from the graphs on the dashboard. Since my inverter is grid tied, that is important to me and it would really be nice if it had that as a number on the dashboard that is regularly updated and showed a running total. Or a graph. I'm kind of surprised no one has asked them for that feature already.
  • Individual string data is only available as a graph which makes it nearly impossible to compare strings in real time. Shine tools is so much better in this regard with a table that shows each string voltage, current, and especially useful, power.
Maybe I'm missing something, and if there were a way to customize the dashboard, then I could see the value in it. The only benefit to me is that it gives real time data when away from home. Maybe I'm missing something, since a lot of people seem to like it, I am still on the trial license and not sure I will sign up, so please advise your thoughts since I would like to support them....assuming it would do what I want.

Individual string data is only available as a graph which makes it nearly impossible to compare strings in real time.
I don’t have time to reply in detail, but you seem to be missing stuff. Also, SA did not support these inverters at all until late last year and even in January only got data for 2 mppt strings and one battery even if there were two. One issue may be that I think you said up are not using beta version?

With respect to string data, click the inverter icon, see screen capture. It’s there. There are a lot of various things they need to fix, if you don’t “sign up” I’d suggest telling them why in detail- might help light a fire, I’ve given them a lot of things that need fixed. One issue is it does not display some data correctly for an inverter that is off grid. They need to be switching between two different modbus registers- there are separate registers for gridtied and offgrid ac output power. The programmers are lacking some understanding of how it all works.

Attachments

• 8B4AE900-3FDA-445E-90AC-EC365429187F.png
    8B4AE900-3FDA-445E-90AC-EC365429187F.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
I don’t have time to reply in detail
Ha, you always reply and even your brief comments, like this one, are always helpful!
Also, SA did not support these inverters at all until late last year and even in January only got data for 2 mppt strings and one battery even if there were two.
Well that is promising, they seem to have come a long way.
With respect to string data, click the inverter icon, see screen capture. It’s there
Well, I'll be! I had tried clicking on those icons, but I guess I gave up when I clicked on the Solar PV icon and nothing came up. Anyway, that's great news. Now if I can get the net import/export added, I'll be a happy camper.

There are a lot of various things they need to fix, if you don’t “sign up” I’d suggest telling them why in detail- might help light a fire, I’ve given them a lot of things that need fixed. One issue is it does not display some data correctly for an inverter that is off grid. They need to be switching between two different modbus registers- there are separate registers for gridtied and offgrid ac output power. The programmers are lacking some understanding of how it all works.
Yes, I will let them know. Vince has been very responsive and hopefully the programmers will eventually get it.

Now if I can get the net import/export added, I'll be a happy camper.
I have no interest in such data, due to being off grid……….
But even though I have not done any code writing in 30 years I’ll be blowing the dust out from between my ears and learning Python or something like that this winter if they don’t have it a lot better by then.

Well, I'll be! I had tried clicking on those icons, but I guess I gave up when I clicked on the Solar PV icon and nothing came up. Anyway, that's great news. Now if I can get the net import/export added, I'll be a happy camper.
You must have 1:1 net metering.

I don't so the net number is completely useless to me. Matter of fact, that is one thing I absolutely hate about my zigbee emporia vue. It knows how much was imported and how much was exported, but it only shows me a net figure, which does not allow me to calculate my daily cost. I much prefer the way solar assistant does it .

Having said that, I'm sure it should be fairly easy for them to add the net column.

Funny, Pierre has answered all my emails to the “info” Solar Assistant email address, wonder how they decide who responds to which emails……
Interesting. I've only heard from Vince, and usually he responds in the middle of the night.

I have no interest in such data, due to being off grid……….
But even though I have not done any code writing in 30 years I’ll be blowing the dust out from between my ears and learning Python or something like that this winter if they don’t have it a lot better by then.
That's a good skill to have. I've never written code, unless you consider ladder logic some 40 years ago.

You must have 1:1 net metering.
Not sure if it is called that, but I earn credits for what I generate in excess of what I use. The credits never expire so being a new system, I am anxious to see how it does from day to day. My first electric bill last week was $96. I generated about 800kwh and used 600. But the system wasn't fully operational that month.
I don't so the net number is completely useless to me. Matter of fact, that is one thing I absolutely hate about my zigbee emporia vue. It knows how much was imported and how much was exported, but it only shows me a net figure, which does not allow me to calculate my daily cost. I much prefer the way solar assistant does it .
How do you have your main sensors connected for Emporia? Mine are connected just before the service panel main breaker. And since my inverter is connected upstream of that, Emporia won't ever show anything but usage.

How do you have your main sensors connected for Emporia? Mine are connected just before the service panel main breaker. And since my inverter is connected upstream of that, Emporia won't ever show anything but usage.

I use the cheap zigbee one that talks directly to the meter . Some utilities allow this. It's only about $40

Vue Smart Home Energy Monitor | Works only w/PG&E, SCE, PPL, First Energy, Ohio Edison, Burlington Electric & Green Mountain Power | Connects to Your Electric Meter | Solar Net Metering https://a.co/d/iQVLikY

Last edited:
I use the cheap zigbee one that talks directly to the meter . Some utilities allow this. It's only about $40

Vue Smart Home Energy Monitor | Works only w/PG&E, SCE, PPL, First Energy, Ohio Edison, Burlington Electric & Green Mountain Power | Connects to Your Electric Meter | Solar Net Metering https://a.co/d/iQVLikY
Ah, I wasn't aware of that model. Since Centerpoint is my power distribution company, it won't work.

I have the Vue version with 16(?) branch sensor circuits and I love it. It already notified me twice when one of the freezers was off. I have other alerts set, such as if the well doesn't turn off after a few hours, it will notify me. The downside is that I think it costs about $150 and takes up a lot of space inside your panel.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that model. Since Centerpoint is my power distribution company, it won't work.

I have the Vue version with 16(?) branch sensor circuits and I love it. It already notified me twice when one of the freezers was off. I have other alerts set, such as if the well doesn't turn off after a few hours, it will notify me. The downside is that I think it costs about $150 and takes up a lot of space inside your panel.
May not hurt to email center point. My utility wasn't listed. I emailed them and they said they could do it.

I use iotawatt for my main panel. I'll need to see if there are notifications.

Today or tomorrow I'm moving the CTs for my growatt to my main disconnect so it can see all house import and export. Getting ready for the growatt sph10000

May not hurt to email center point. My utility wasn't listed. I emailed them and they said they could do it.

I use iotawatt for my main panel. I'll need to see if there are notifications.

Today or tomorrow I'm moving the CTs for my growatt to my main disconnect so it can see all house import and export. Getting ready for the growatt sph10000
Iotawatt looks to be more powerful than Emporia, and if they have notifications, that's even better.

Good luck with the new Growatt!

Iotawatt looks to be more powerful than Emporia, and if they have notifications, that's even better.

Good luck with the new Growatt!
I like iotawatt better but it's 2.5x the cost and to get notifications I would need an additional service.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I posted the schematics I created for our inverter here post #20. They are not complete, but are better than nothing. Hopefully, you'll never need them.

Back