diy solar

diy solar

Will's new Renogy DC-DC set up - questions

Santa

Hi everyone, I am new here, but watch Will's videos all the time. (Thank you Will!) , I am trying to purchase everything for Will's latest set up (Renegy dc/dc, 400 watt 12v, two Battle borns 100ah, 2000/4000 inverter, etc). I am buying everything on his blueprint. I am confused about how many cables and what size to buy:

1. Battery to battery, do I really need these for this set up?? If so, 4 gauge? and how many?
2. Battery to inverter cables: The GoWise inverter 2000 has these strange double wires. Blueprint says to get cables that match inverter, but GoWise doesn't even tell you what size cables they are. The GoWise manual says their wires are for low wattage. The link on the blueprint shows 4/0 AWG, but the inverter terminal says it can only handle up to 2 gauge. People on Amazon are saying its different gauges. Please help.
3. Do I need a 250 or 300 amp fuse? The table that is at the link doesn't specify for 2000/4000 watts.
4. What would happen if I used a bigger cable than recommended?
5. Blueprint doesn't show where to put things like the fuse block...and how to wire to the chassis or starter. Any help?

I appreciate any help! I am ordering and things are getting sold out. I ordered Will's book earlier. Thank you!

Last edited:
In addition to watching Wills excellent videos, if you are going to build a system, read all the owners technical manuals for the devices you are considering to buy. There will be specific info about how to wire, wire size, fuse sizes. Try to understand the purpose of every wire and fuse and switch. Its function in the circuit, like protect the wire from smoking at max battery discharge rate amperage or inverter amperage, isolate the solar cells from the charger before opening the battery disconnect switch, etc.

Last edited:
In addition to watching Wills excellent videos, if you are going to build a system, read all the owners technical manuals for the devices you are considering to buy. There will be specific info about how to wire, wire size, fuse sizes. Try to understand the purpose of every wire and fuse and switch. Its function in the circuit, like protect the wire from smoking at max battery discharge rate amperage or inverted amperage, isolate the solar cells from the charger before opening the battery disconnect switch, etc.
Yep, I've been a subscriber for a while. I just wanted specifics from his blueprint: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/simplified-400-watt-fewer-wires-and-alternator-charging.html I am trying to order things (and Amazon cancelled most of my things any way.) so I don't have any manuals. The online manual for the inverter comes with a cable, but the manual says its only for light loads and says to get a larger cable for heavier loads, and does not recommend any other cables. It is up to me to decide at this point, and I am here to ask for help. Its been six days since I posted this, and I figured out myself 2 AWG cables for battery to battery. I am getting a 300A fuse. I also figured 4/0 cables for battery to inverter. I have Will's book, BTW. I have been studying this everyday and not getting sleep to try to get it all figured out and ordered. I am doing more than my best effort.

Well many of the owners Manuals can be found on the manufacturers web sites and downloaded before you buy.
It's not uncommon to buy the electrical devices (battery, inverter/charger/solar controller/dc-dc batt charger), read the manuals, make a wiring sketch, figure out equipment layout to estimate wire lengths, figure out the wire sizes and fuse sizes and switches, then buy the wire, lugs, switches and fuses. Cable size calculators are available on line. BlueSea has a good one. Limit voltage drop due to wire size to about 3% for 12v systems.
I am on a huge time crunch, and things have been delayed due to Amazon's incompetence. I have no extra time right now. I have to search for everything through other stores now. Very time consuming. I thought Amazon would make it easier, but to the contrary. I am following Will's blueprint, not making a custom one right now. Not to mention, holidays are going to slow shipping. I am buying larger sized cables, and so I can't go wrong oversizing cables. I will check out bluesea. ty

f
I put myself in such positions occasionally. It's usually because I do not order parts timely to get them so I can assemble them timely. Just my shortcoming at times. Never Amazons fault, they generally meet their promised delivery dates in my case unless the carrier fails to deliver as scheduled. Sometimes i find welding cable and lugs locally at auto parts stores or Fastenall or even over night from McMasterCarr, but always at a premium price.
Over sizing wire is a good practice as long as it does not get too costly. Do you have a crimper for the lugs the wire will require ?
I hate to keep repeating this, but I ordered about 38++?? items from Amazon at once. They froze my account and began deleting things they reinstated my account and cancelled more things 4 1/2 hours after reinstating. I was left with 2 items delivered. They won't give me any explanation or apology or help. I used a 20% off coupon for a refrigerator that I ordered 3 days prior to that. It was cancelled too and my coupon is gone. Read my thread AMAZON SUCKS. I'm done with this conversation.

Back