diy solar

diy solar

Zero voltage

offgrid22

A question to all with experience in wind turbines. Not sure what happened with my turbine but I thought I would ask your opinion. So my experiment was with a tulip vertical 2K turbine. A 48v controller with 1.5K dump resistor. My battery bank consists of 4 (100ah) batteries, so just 20Kw. Is there anything wrong with that setup?

I don’t have any experience with wind turbines so i will keep my response brief.

If you want replies, you’ll have to include more information. At a minimum, a schematic of your system and a description of how you tested it-duration, wind speed, height of turbine, etc. Pictures are nice, too.

I don’t have any experience with wind turbines so i will keep my response brief.

If you want replies, you’ll have to include more information. At a minimum, a schematic of your system and a description of how you tested it-duration, wind speed, height of turbine, etc. Pictures are nice, too.
Roger that

No pics right now but I will add some soon, it was a simple connection, 3 phase leads into the controller, 2 to the battery with fuses and a disconnect on the hot line, oh and the dump resistor. When I turned everything on, I got some voltage but then the turbine started braking. Not from any strong winds just 3mph maybe. Since then it's all its done just spin a bit then brake. I sawpped out the controller to a simpler model, without a dump resistor. It did turn a bit more but started braking again. Today the unload indicator began flashing and my last checks showed no voltage coming from the turbine.

This is why my 1st post was simply asking if there would be a problem with such a setup. Maybe the size of the battery bank acting like a big resistor causing the turbine to brake???.

This is why my 1st post was simply asking if there would be a problem with such a setup. Maybe the size of the battery bank acting like a big resistor causing the turbine to brake???.
What is the measured voltage at the battery bank when braking?

That could certainly be the case, are the batteries fully charged? Or could be a short on the e phase wires, which would brake it.
First step I would take, disconnect the 3 phase leads and see how it spins up unloaded, if it act s better, then go in the batterfy / wiring direction.

No AC so no DC. I checked for AC before the controller
If you are getting zero volts at 6mph wind or better the only thing I can think of it that the slip ring came apart or locked up shorting all three leads.
You could check for continuity between the leads when not spinning.

Back