diy solar

diy solar

10awg or 12awg?

Ang429

Im making a 3x xt60 in series into a 1x xt60 cable, it will be 10 feet running 36V 20A through. (or maybe I could do like 16 feet if that would still be safe?) 12AWG is rated for 20A, so am I good with 12AWG, or do I need to buy 10AWG? everything online said 10AWG wouldn't fit in an xt60 plug, so I got 12awg, but now that I have the connectors, its obvious that a 10AWG will easily fit, not barely fit or not fit at all like everyone claimed. So can I just make it with 12awg, or do I need to wait and buy 10awg?

I see many pre-made extension XT60 cords on Amazon for fairly decent prices . One has this specification for amperage per wire gauge.
It specs 12awg for 30a.
However you have not specified what wire you are using. It does make a difference.

Attachments

• 1703712983956.png
    1703712983956.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 6
I see many pre-made extension XT60 cords on Amazon for fairly decent prices . One has this specification for amperage per wire gauge.
It specs 12awg for 30a.
However you have not specified what wire you are using. It does make a difference.
I literally specified everything that i was doing lol
I am going 3x xt60 into 1x xt60 in series and will be running 36V 20A through it, I don't need an extension cord. i managed to find the manufacturer website where they recommend 12awg, so I will be using my 12awg.

20 amps continuous load should have #10.
Hopefully 10awg will fit then. where can I buy some quality wire? preferably the two wires sealed together so its cleaner? amazon is garbage, and walmart has nothing.

10-2 $1.38 / ft shipped

A little less by the spool.
Unfortunate that its white, And the photos kind of look like some cheap hand wrapped thing. Its also pretty expensive. Not sure why it says 60A when 10AWG is rated for 30A, But if I can confirm that 10awg will fit and they have black, then this should work.
I'm sure they then charge a bunch for shipping too

I literally specified everything that i was doing lol
I am going 3x xt60 into 1x xt60 in series and will be running 36V 20A through it, I don't need an extension cord. i managed to find the manufacturer website where they recommend 12awg, so I will be using my 12awg.
Wire is specified by type of insulation, number of strands, whether it is tinned or even if it is copper coated aluminum. You gave only size.

Wire is specified by type of insulation, number of strands, whether it is tinned or even if it is copper coated aluminum. You gave only size.
Ill buy whatever i need to do 36V 20A DC Continuous Safely. I will be putting XT60 Connectors on the ends.

Why do you say 10awg when literally everyone and everything else says 12awg? and my Bluetti Adapter is 12awg for a 30A Cable? Why won't 12awg work?
Generally NEC wants 125% rating on continuous load circuits.

Sure for #12 primary wire unbundled in free air with 105c insulation in room temperatures is good for 45 amps. Going to run very warm.
I initially recommended #10 and that is what I would have used. Will #12 immediately melt down... No.

Not sure if you found your wire yet, but I've linked below what looks like a good deal on good wire. The white marine-grade type of wire someone linked to you before is very good stuff and very durable (due to the outer white jacket) and more flexible than it looks like it would be, but as you said, pretty expensive.

So perhaps this will meet your needs:

As for calculating what wire to use, I find the "Blue Sea Circuit Wizard" smartphone app to be very useful and easy to use. It can also help you determine voltage drop.

Back