diy solar

diy solar

Cant fit 10AWG into an XT60, And was told I cant use 12AWG, So what do I do?

Ang429

Continuing my Previous post asking if i could use 12awg for 36V 20A or if I would need 10AWG, I was told that I needed 10AWG. So I bought it even though XT60 Plugs are only rated for 12awg, And I'm having a problem soldering it because its so tight in the connector. i bought some flux and will see how that goes, But if that doesn't work, What am I supposed to do?
The Bluetti Adapter that I purchased which is rated for 30A, And is pretty thick, Says on the side that its only 12AWG, And 12AWG is only rated for 20A, So how are they getting away with this, and why am I having to use 10AWG for my 20A?

12 Awg for short battery wire that is NOT enclosed in conduit should be ok for 30 amps continous. If it gets warm, you will need to upgrade the wire and connectors.

It has a lot to do with time. Any 12ga can handle 30amps for some amount of time. Some can handle it continuously. I flow 50+ amps through 12ga wire pretty regularly, just for short durations. I would use the 12ga and not worry about it.

12 Awg for short battery wire that is NOT enclosed in conduit should be ok for 30 amps continous. If it gets warm, you will need to upgrade the wire and connectors.
Well the Bluetti Wire is Enclosed in a Thick Casing.
As for my Setup, its Lowes Single Single Strand wire, So its not enclosed. I was planning to do 10 Feet, But if I had to do more like 4 Feet then I definitely could, And I guess I would have to if this 10AWG doesn't fit into the XT60? i would have to just downgrade to like 4 Feet of 12AWG, And I guess Lowes wont take back my 10AWG.

It has a lot to do with time. Any 12ga can handle 30amps for some amount of time. Some can handle it continuously. I flow 50+ amps through 12ga wire pretty regularly, just for short durations. I would use the 12ga and not worry about it.
I will be using 36V 20A through it for an hour or two at a time now, And then in the future it will be hooked up 24/7.

In my opinion any 12ga can do 20amps continuous, but thats just my personal experience of ‘did it get hot’, not based on any actual specs.

I'm having a problem soldering it because its so tight in the connector. i bought some flux and will see how that goes, But if that doesn't work, What am I supposed to do?

If you can’t fit the 10 AWG into the XT60 then just fit as much as you can and trim the excess before soldering.

This small fraction of an inch length reduction in that 10AWG section of the wire will be inconsequential.

Back