diy solar

diy solar

200A Manual Transfer Switch?

cmack

I am looking to add a manual transfer switch before my main panel so I can back feed power to my whole home in the event of a power outage.

The 200A utility would connect to the switch, which would then connect to my main panel, and to my Sol Ark 15k. By default I would have the switch pointing to the inverter, passing through 200A to my main panel. If I ever need to service the inverter, I would flip the switch over to the main panel.

Having a hard time finding the right hardware. Any suggestions?

Siemens, Eaton or Cutler-Hammer make a 200a MTS. Not cheap. You might find that a ATS is less expensive.

You don't have to use the auto feature and operate it manually.

I think it is a lot of money/hassle to add that to your 200 amp pass-through Sol-Ark inverter.
I don't think you will ever need it, but I could be wrong!

Have you tried Home Depot?
Yeah but I was looking at the Canadian site, hoping to source something from Canada. Good to know I have options though.
Manual 200 amp transfer switch about $650.00. Double pole double throw.
Double throw means it can point to 2 different loads (as well as off)?
I think it is a lot of money/hassle to add that to your 200 amp pass-through Sol-Ark inverter.
Backyard wedding this summer, a lot of important circuits on my main panel I want backed up.

Use an automatic transfer switch with an external SPDT toggle. But there's no off option with that.

Last edited:
You don't have to use the auto feature and operate it manually.

Yes, if my Sol-Arks fail, I just have to move a couple of wires around to bypass them. But if I’m not home, I doubt anyone else would have the gumption to follow my directions and do it. But as for now, I have no plans to install a double throw switch.

is there a link to one that you would recommend?
I think he's saying "rig up" something that makes it stay switched one way (or the other).. You're basically tricking it.

I have a generac 200A auto transfer, it comes with a bar to transfer manually. But it's not small.

I think he's saying "rig up" something that makes it stay switched one way (or the other).
I have a generac 200A auto transfer, it comes with a bar to transfer manually. But it's not small.
Interesting, 3 questions:
1. I thought generac's auto transfer switches were proprietary, in that it wouldn't work unless it detects a generac generator or some other generac product?
2. The one you have "rigged-up" would it transfer automatically if you want it to?
3. How complicated is the procedure for rigging one up?

. Any smaller options out there?
If you can find an interlock kit and a 200 Amp breaker for less money that might work. You already have one breaker. If it is just for maintenance you might get by with a 100 Amp breaker and an interlock kit. The interlock kits vary depending on the configuration of your panel.
Here is a link to one company but they are on Amazon also: https://interlockkit.com/
The advantage of an interlock is that it only takes one additional breaker space and not an extra box.

Last edited:
is there a link to one that you would recomme

Interesting, 3 questions:
1. I thought generac's auto transfer switches were proprietary, in that it wouldn't work unless it detects a generac generator or some other generac product?
2. The one you have "rigged-up" would it transfer automatically if you want it to?
3. How complicated is the procedure for rigging one up?
The last Generac switch I installed was really dumb. The control doesn't have to be used. It is just two electromagnets and two micro switches. When 120 volts was applied to one wire, the switch transfered one way. And when applied to the other wire, it went the other way. Transfer current is automatically turned off by the micro switch. A double throw switch would be all that is needed to toggle the ATS.

Last edited:
If you can find an interlock kit and a 200 Amp breaker for less money that might work. You already have one breaker. If it is just for maintenance you might get by with a 100 Amp breaker and an interlock kit. The interlock kits vary depending on the configuration of your panel.
Here is a link to one company but they are on Amazon also: https://interlockkit.com/
The advantage of an interlock is that it only takes one additional breaker space and not an extra box.
This is very interesting, hadn't considered it. Time to do some reading!

There are less expensive options than the one I posted. I found one at my local home center for $35 plus a 100 Amp breaker.
I'm working with a 225A Federal Pioneer Stab-lok. Has a bunch of extra space in it. I don't see any kits designed specifically for it, is that what I'm looking for?

Back