diy solar

diy solar

200ah fully discharged

dktool

I have cycled my new battery a few times to 60-70% discharge, yesterday I let it go all the way down to test the bms shut off point, it disconnected at 10.1 volts so that passed the test.
My question is after a full discharge like this should it be recharged immediately to avoid any damage to the cells or are they happy being drained for awhile ?
And when charging from this state is a low verses high amp charge recommended or do they not care about that ?

Most manufacturers recommend storing at 30-50% SoC.

Cells will likely drift north of 2.7-2.9V after a bit, but I would personally get it on a charger as soon as practical.

Would keep under 0.2C (40A for you) just on principle (personal preference).

Reactions: JRH
I have cycled my new battery a few times to 60-70% discharge, yesterday I let it go all the way down to test the bms shut off point, it disconnected at 10.1 volts so that passed the test.
My question is after a full discharge like this should it be recharged immediately to avoid any damage to the cells or are they happy being drained for awhile ?
And when charging from this state is a low verses high amp charge recommended or do they not care about that ?
Since no one has replied to you question I will say I’m pretty sure you should NOT let the lithium batts sit for long at a very low state like 10 volts.
Better minds than mine will weigh in hopefully to give a solid opinion…

As to how fast to charge them back up, I discharge mine down to about 11 volts often and then run em back up at normal rates or what the maker recommends , usually 25-30% of capacity charge rate .. they work great like that…
Good luck.J.

Thanks for the replies, I had charged it at 40 amps previously which is the max output from my rv charger on shore power, while driving it charges at 14 amps through a DC-DC charger which also has a mppt input which I don't use at this point in time.
I will keep it at @50% while not in use.

Back