diy solar

diy solar

4 X class solar flares to impact this weekend.

Took put the dog and saw the sky started getting more purple again. Ran back in, told my wife, shut off the outside light again... and the 1 year old woke and cried. Dang it...

I did grab this from our back yard when I had the dog out.

20240510_231056.jpg

I'm jealous.
I've been out at least a dozen times. It's just cold, damp, foggy and cloudy. The damned house across the road has an led floodlight that's flashing on and off and the red light on a radio tower to the NNW had my hopes up for a 1/2 second.

Thanks for sharing the awesome photos.

Ham Radio Bands are pretty much dead now.
For those with Starlink check your App and see what is happening. I have not seen that Degraded message in months and the 2-3 second outages had stopped from five months ago, so they are definitely having issues.

Starlink.jpg

Ham Radio Bands are pretty much dead now.
For those with Starlink check your App and see what is happening. I have not seen that Degraded message in months and the 2-3 second outages had stopped from five months ago, so they are definitely having issues.

View attachment 214595
My Starlink seems OK, but the UPS powering the router (I don't use the SL router) is going nuts along with others. Everything touching the grid here is going nuts, but the off grid buildings on our property are undisturbed. Pretty wild...

Looking at the photos with the screen brightness way up it looks like the camera definitely caught something earlier. I thought I saw a red hue but told myself my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Still boring compared to what others are seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_20240510_232045.jpg
    IMG_20240510_232045.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20240510_221520.jpg
    IMG_20240510_221520.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 10
My Starlink seems OK, but the UPS powering the router (I don't use the SL router) is going nuts along with others. Everything touching the grid here is going nuts, but the off grid buildings on our property are undisturbed. Pretty wild...
Wow Really!
I would unplug everything that is not needed.

I'm jealous.
I've been out at least a dozen times. It's just cold, damp, foggy and cloudy. The damned house across the road has an led floodlight that's flashing on and off and the red light on a radio tower to the NNW had my hopes up for a 1/2 second.

Thanks for sharing the awesome photos.
Same here in Cumberland County

I can actually see colors to the SW and east. I have two big pole lights in my yard, so i took these away from them. You definitely have to let the camera hold its shutter open a while, like 5 seconds or you won't capture a decent pic. These really aren't that good, but it's hard to hold a little phone steady, plus it's about 45, so it's a bit chilly.

Attachments

• IMG_20240510_231652603.jpg
    IMG_20240510_231652603.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240510_231925799.jpg
    IMG_20240510_231925799.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240510_234241470.jpg
    IMG_20240510_234241470.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 8
A couple more shots for you folks...

View attachment 214591
Those pics of yours are spectacular. I was surprised to see anything. I've never seen anything like this. It's been quite a 6 weeks for me, my first total solar eclipse and my first aurora.

I had to come back in, it's getting colder out there and I think the peak activity has passed. Seems like the best time was about 10-11pm.

View attachment 214563

That is a Thunder Mustang, my pic at a fly-in.
They are a 3/4 scale replica of the P-51, complete with a custom 640 HP V12 engine. They outperform a mustang at a fraction of the price.
They even make the righteous sound. Gives me goosebumps every time.
That is one cool sounding plane ..reminds me of the planes in old war movies and at the Airport every Sunday in the 50’s with my grandfather holding me up on the fence to see the planes come and go.… that prop plane droning ,with Doppler effect and the dive bomb swooping , create marvelous sounds and memories of a long ago time……..good job 👍

So I've read that they really can't super accurately predict the intensity of these storms, and that we only really know when it hits a satellite, 20 minutes before it gets to us.

But what I wish I knew was what are we watching for? Solar Wind Density or High Energy Protons? Which is the "oh shit" graph?

Back