diy solar

diy solar

4 X class solar flares to impact this weekend.

My phone could clearly see a bright pink aurora on the horizon here in central California but it was barely visible to the eye just the faintest red. Like red tinted light pollution, but if you stared you could see that it was a little more unreal than that, and did emminate from the sky itself.

Technically it happened: I saw the northern lights from my back yard, but I'll reassure everyone here who was asleep that they didn't miss anything.

Well, at least I can turn the UPS's back on this morning. They were going wild. The one at my wife's desk beeps at almost any grid fluctuation, and the one for the router is also sensitive. But I have a couple of others from which I've never heard a peep after several years no matter what's going on, and even they were beeping. Mind you, they all continued to supply power, but the beeping was more than we wanted to hear.

Best of all to me was that the off grid buildings were unaffected at all, so this morning my wife said, "OK, you're right - we definitely keep the new house off grid." WOO HOO"! I've been talking about the increasingly fragile grid for a while now, so Thanks, sun!

Wondering what we'll get tonight as this is supposed to go for ~ 3 days. But I think last night was supposed to be the most intense. Thanks for the compliments on the pics, but all I did was point, click, and try to hold steady.

Well, at least I can turn the UPS's back on this morning. They were going wild. The one at my wife's desk beeps at almost any grid fluctuation, and the one for the router is also sensitive. But I have a couple of others from which I've never heard a peep after several years no matter what's going on, and even they were beeping. Mind you, they all continued to supply power, but the beeping was more than we wanted to hear.
APC UPSen can be configured for sensitivity, high and low grid limits, and active or silenced alarms.

Of course, going offgrid is the best solution.

Nothing happened here exept my GPS wandered a few more meters than usual. 🤓

Was probably circling over @Daddy Tanuki for a while.
Fukuoka is south west of me about a 10 hour drive. thats right next to Marine Corps air station Iwakuni.
Boeing is taking a beating these days. maybe they should consider going back to hiring those old wrinkly white guys that did the job so well for the last 50 years for them, vice whatever the DEI initiative LGBTQ xyz with purple hair types they have been hiring lately.

We got nothing here, just a glow on the horizon that was only visible through a camera. A buddy 30 miles away got some great pics, but nothing here.

IMG_20240511_003248567.jpg
As far as I'm concerned, if I only "saw" it through my phone, I didn't see it. I'm not crossing that one off my list.

Fukuoka is south west of me about a 10 hour drive. thats right next to Marine Corps air station Iwakuni.
Boeing is taking a beating these days. maybe they should consider going back to hiring those old wrinkly white guys that did the job so well for the last 50 years for them, vice whatever the DEI initiative LGBTQ xyz with purple hair types they have been hiring lately.
Daaaam the jokes about that town name must be intense! That or they REALLY dont like Oklahoma...

Well, did anything bad happen?
Not that I can tell. Just a lot of alarms on the UPS devices that were connected to the grid. Saw friends for breakfast that live near the main branch of the grid and they said nothing at all at their house. We're the last property down a long stretch of the smallest circuit they run, so maybe that had an effect, but no real idea. Civilization survived.

APC UPSen can be configured for sensitivity, high and low grid limits, and active or silenced alarms.

Of course, going offgrid is the best solution.

Nothing happened here exept my GPS wandered a few more meters than usual. 🤓
image.png
My house normally 'moves' around 5M from it's average position, so GPS was slightly effected.
My FL condo 'moved' a lot more, but it's got a very compromised antenna, so nothing obvious happened there.
Both of them kept perfect time, which is what I care about.

Not sure, we haven't heard from @AlaskanNoob since he decided the best way to prevent problems from his 650 feet of cable was to connect to the grid, but then he's a few hours out, so barely morning there.

I decided the best way to prevent problems was to connect to the grid? I'm off grid, I don't have the option of connecting to the grid.

Back