diy solar

diy solar

6000XP Charging Question

InfoSecRon

I am currently using the 6000XP as a backup to my house. My solar panels come in the spring. The AC In breaker is connected to my main grid distribution panel, and the Load breaker is connected to a critical loads panel. There are two Lifepower4 batteries connected for now. Everything is powered up as expected.

I would like to keep the batteries at 90% SOC and the inverter in bypass mode so the AC runs the critical loads until power is lost. My batteries are currently at 93% and have been charging at 9 to 30 watts for most of the day. I am not sure why this is happening. My settings are below.

AC Charge Based On: Battery SOC
AC Charge Start Battery SOC(%): 50%
AC Charge End Battery SOC(%): 90%

Discharge Control: SOC
Discharge Cut-off SOC(%): 15%
On Grid EOD SOC(%): 85%

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,
Ron

Yes, charging control doesn't have to be accurate to 3 decimal places. The setting is 90%, and the battery is at 93% so it overshot a bit. The idle power draw of the inverter is about 50W (+ or -) so if its charging at only 9 to 30W it should slowly fall to the set point.

There is always going to some hysteresis in the control loop. So this is normal behavior.

I’ve had a few smaller solar systems over the years and I’m upgrading my current system. I just recently bought the new EG4 6000xp for my off grid system. I currently have a 14Kh DIY LifePO4 battery system which I am upgrading to a 28Kwh system. I live on the east coast and one of my bigger problems is cloudy/rainy days which can last 3-5 days or more. This kills my batteries. With the upgrade in a larger battery storage and I am also expanding my solar panels (the cheapest way to gain more charging power is panels 1st).

With that said, I am looking for a faster way to charge up the new 28Khw batteries on cloudy days. My understanding is the 6000xp will not be able to talk to my DIY Batteries so it will not know the state of charge my batteries are in, making it really not chargeable even from the grid, directly from this invertor. I still have to figure out what I can do about that. I was thinking of getting a standalone charger for these batteries on cloudy days. I want to be able to use this charger either off the grid or by a gas generator (really want to change to propone and gas generator). For the new charger, I was debating between something like the AIMS Power CON120AC3648VDC AC Converter & Battery Smart Charger 36V or 48V 25 amps OR EG4 Chargeverter 48v 100a battery charger. Any suggestions?

For the new charger, I was debating between something like the AIMS Power CON120AC3648VDC AC Converter & Battery Smart Charger 36V or 48V 25 amps OR EG4 Chargeverter 48v 100a battery charger. Any suggestions?
I have been really pleased with the Chargeverter. I just wish I could change charging AMPs remotely, and monitor output, but works great on gen or grid.

I’ve had a few smaller solar systems over the years and I’m upgrading my current system. I just recently bought the new EG4 6000xp for my off grid system. I currently have a 14Kh DIY LifePO4 battery system which I am upgrading to a 28Kwh system. I live on the east coast and one of my bigger problems is cloudy/rainy days which can last 3-5 days or more. This kills my batteries. With the upgrade in a larger battery storage and I am also expanding my solar panels (the cheapest way to gain more charging power is panels 1st).

With that said, I am looking for a faster way to charge up the new 28Khw batteries on cloudy days. My understanding is the 6000xp will not be able to talk to my DIY Batteries so it will not know the state of charge my batteries are in, making it really not chargeable even from the grid, directly from this invertor. I still have to figure out what I can do about that. I was thinking of getting a standalone charger for these batteries on cloudy days. I want to be able to use this charger either off the grid or by a gas generator (really want to change to propone and gas generator). For the new charger, I was debating between something like the AIMS Power CON120AC3648VDC AC Converter & Battery Smart Charger 36V or 48V 25 amps OR EG4 Chargeverter 48v 100a battery charger. Any suggestions?
I fail to see why you could not use the 6000XP to charge your DIY batteries. Just set the system to lead-acid and configure your thresholds based on voltage...

Back