diy solar

diy solar

6000xp went off line

D. Abineri

This morning my 6000xp is offline. How do I get it back online. Tried unpluggin and plugging in he wifi dongle but only one green light shows on it and it is not online. The display is actve.

Thanks for an advice.

Last edited:
This morning my 6000xp is offline. How do I get it back online. Tried unpluggin and plugging in he wifi dongle but only one green light shows on it and it is not online. The display is actve.

Thanks for an advice.
What is the bottom light doing?

If the bottom light is blinking that means it failed to connect to wifi. Try restarting your router.

Thanks for an advice.
I would ensure that the 2.4GHz connection is still operational on your router and also check if the distance from the router is causing any weakening of the 2.4GHz signal.

I'll add that the wifi dongle is TERRIBLE for security. It continually broadcasts an open network that anyone can join and change the inverter settings. Personally, I do not use the dongle at all!

I'll add that the wifi dongle is TERRIBLE for security. It continually broadcasts an open network that anyone can join and change the inverter settings. Personally, I do not use the dongle at all!
Is it truly open though? It's been a few months since I set mine up, but I could swear mine was password protected - with the PIN on the dongle label being the password to it's wifi hotspot.

The dongle is not an absolute requirement, but without it you couldn't monitor with the portal nor anything else like SA. All that data and control sure is useful!

Is it truly open though? It's been a few months since I set mine up, but I could swear mine was password protected - with the PIN on the dongle label being the password to it's wifi hotspot.

The dongle is not an absolute requirement, but without it you couldn't monitor with the portal nor anything else like SA. All that data and control sure is useful!
Mine is wide open. You might check yours. This is why I went through the pain of trying the wired dongle, which also did not work. SA is now working on an RS485 solution and I have been able to get data directly from the inverter as well. And I've been working with @solarhombre on getting wombatt to work with it as well. I have a todo to get him some answers today.

For me, I can't accept that level of insecurity for the convenience of the data. I'll do without until there is an actual secure solution.

If you disconnect the wifi-dongle and open up the connection, you'll see 4 wires. I disconnected the little card and can plug in there. The black and white wires are pins 1 and 2 that can be used to communicate via RS485. White=A, Black=B. I have been getting data using modbus requests.

I would ensure that the 2.4GHz connection is still operational on your router and also check if the distance from the router is causing any weakening of the 2.4GHz signal.
I shows on my wireless list of devices. Do I need to be on a 2.4GHz connection to access its wifi? The question really is, Why did it go offline? Thanks

I shows on my wireless list of devices. Do I need to be on a 2.4GHz connection to access its wifi? The question really is, Why did it go offline? Thanks
How many wireless devices can your router support.

How many wireless devices do you have connected?

Connect to your wifi dongle hotspot or you can directly enter its IP if you are on the same home network as dongle.
dongle page.png
Usually it is on address like 10.10.10.1
The login password is usually 'admin' and 'admin'. And even that can be changed.

You can then go into 'AP Mode setting' and change the Encryption mode setting to a password.
encrpytion.png

This is only for the older 18k dongle not the new version and the 6000XP version.
I hesitate to ask you, but I believe I am missing something in understanding networking and that is holding me back from getting everything working as it should.

I have a TP-Link router with two channels (5G and 2/4G I believe). Both are always listed in the list of wifi devices when clicking the wifi icon in Win 10.

Also listed are about a dozen of my neighbor's secured wifi sysyems.

Sometimes the wifi dongle on the 6000xp is listed and sometimes the Solar Assistant hot spot are show on that list but sometimes they are not.

This morning the XP dongle is listed even though the actual dongle has just the one green led flashing (looking to connect?).

If I choose the XP dongle from my list of wifi sites it seems to connect but then I lose my internet connection, which seem logical since I am then not connected to TP-Link5G or 24G.

Why would the Solar Assistant not always show as a connection point if it is always turned on?

What am I missing here? Does it matter whether I am on TP-Link 5G or 24G when trying to link to SA or the XP?

In other words, does the list of devices that are shown depend on how I am connected?

Many thanks for any light you can shed on my misunderstandings here. I hope I am explaining things correctly.

If I choose the XP dongle from my list of wifi sites it seems to connect but then I lose my internet connection, which seem logical since I am then not connected to TP-Link5G or 24G.
Yep, you're directly connected to the dongle. After you directly connect you have to then configure the dongle to connect to your home network. Page 37, Section 9 of the manual covers the steps to do that. Follow these steps exactly to set it up. It's a little tricky.
You'll need to register for an account and download the app before you do these steps.

1708437678965.png

my EG43k dongle stopped showing data on my PC last week, had to go on the phone and re-download the app and pair the devices. works now, but habitually screws up.

Back