diy solar

diy solar

6000XP won't talk to EG4-LL

okent

Long time lurker first time posting.
Purchased a 6000XP and EG4-LL V2 100Ah server rack battery.
Hooked everything up and the 6000XP powers up but won't recognize the battery.
Updated the firmware on the XP and went through the settings and confirmed the correct chemistry and manufacturer code.
Tried both the CAN and RS485 port just to be sure.
I have not updated the firmware on either the XP or battery.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Long time lurker first time posting.
Purchased a 6000XP and EG4-LL V2 100Ah server rack battery.
Hooked everything up and the 6000XP powers up but won't recognize the battery.
Updated the firmware on the XP and went through the settings and confirmed the correct chemistry and manufacturer code.
Tried both the CAN and RS485 port just to be sure.
I have not updated the firmware on either the XP or battery.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I’m confused, it says you did update the xp. But didn’t update the xp.

Either way I think it’s the battery firmware that likely needs updating. I’m assuming the dipswitches are set correctly?

I agree with Gavin, I had a similar problem between my Lifepower4 battery and 6500EX. Thought maybe the cable between the batt and inverter was backwards or bad. I then remembered that if you have a Lifepower4 batt the dip switch had to be set to all zeros and it wasn't. So, I set them all to zero, or off, and voilá it worked.

Read your battery manual again. I just looked at the EG4 LL manual, you have to set the dip switches on your LL batt to all on, turn off the batt breaker and back on to get the settings to take. Then you need to open up the batt settings and make sure the batt is set up for Luxpower which is what your inverter is. Then you have to set your battery dip switches to all off except switch one. Turn off and on again the battery breaker to confirm the setting, and it should work.

Your batt to inverter cable can be plugged into either the CAN or RS-485 jack on the battery. If it's the straight CAT 5 cable, it won't work, that's for communication between batts. You should have received a batt to inverter cable with your inverter.

But again, read your battery and inverter manual to make sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.
Sorry for the confusion, I did up date the firmware on the XP but not the battery.
Subdood, thanks for the instructions. I set up the battery for EG4 under the RS-485 menu according to the manual and set the dip switch to the first position per instructions.(see pic) Battery Com cable is plugged into the RS-485 plug and then into the XP. Confirmed in the XP setup menu 3 that battery chemistry is Li and "0" for EG4. Still no joy.

PXL_20231203_041020762.MP.jpgPXL_20231203_041010413.MP.jpg

Yes, I read the manual as to say leave it in position 1. I did try the dip switches in the 64 position with no change., I also downloaded the V1 software with the thought of updating the firmware but the program is saying that my USB is either loose or the COM port is not connected. Unfortunately Current Connected did not send me with a USB interface cable so I am using a network cable, windows 11. The program is not recognizing it and will not allow me to select any specific COM, only refresh.

Edited to ad that the program from EG4 to communicate with the battery is different from every video or screenshot that I can find online or in the manual.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies.
Sorry for the confusion, I did up date the firmware on the XP but not the battery.
Subdood, thanks for the instructions. I set up the battery for EG4 under the RS-485 menu according to the manual and set the dip switch to the first position per instructions.(see pic) Battery Com cable is plugged into the RS-485 plug and then into the XP. Confirmed in the XP setup menu 3 that battery chemistry is Li and "0" for EG4. Still no joy.

View attachment 180894

Unless the shadows are throwing it, that's ID 62. ID #1 would be switch 1 off, all others on.

The manual is a bit vague about it, but the diagrams show the comm cable connected to the CAN port on the LL battery, not the RS485. Also, did you power cycle the battery after changing the dip switch to ID 1? It's only when the battery/BMS powers on that it reads the dip switch settings.

Mine is working fine with the 6000XP.

Last edited:
Unless the shadows are throwing it, that's ID 62. ID #1 would be switch 1 off, all others on.
That's the way it looks, but the way they labeled the dip switches is confusing. What the label seems to show as the on position is actually the off position, so the pic is correct for ID 1.

But isn't OP using ID Zero on the inverter? Either change the inverter or the battery to agree.
Nope - he has it set correctly to ID 1 on the battery. There's no setting on the inverter to indicate what the ID of the master battery is - just the manufacturer/communication protocol. LifePower 4 batteries use ID 0 for the master battery, but the LL batteries use ID 1 for the master.

@okent confirmed in the XP setup menu 3 that battery chemistry is Li and "0" for EG4, which is all correct. I think he just needs to move the communication cable from the RS485 to the CAN port on the battery and/or power cycle the master battery so it correctly identifies itself as the master.

Thanks for all the replies!
Tried both the CAN and RS485 ports with both supplied communication cables.
I have tried just about every combination of DIP switch possible and have power cycled the battery and inverter after each dip switch change or communication cable change.

I have tried just about every combination of DIP switch possible and have power cycled the battery and inverter after each dip switch change or communication cable change.
Weird mine is working fine in the same configuration. If you're using the correct battery comm cable, then maybe there's an issue with your battery or maybe you just got a bad battery comm cable... If you have more than one battery in your bank, you could try changing the dip switches and power cycling the batteries to make one of the other ones the master and connect to the CAN port on that one instead and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then you can probably eliminate the battery as the possible problem...

BTW - I presume you're certain your cable is connected to the correct port on the inverter, but I'm sure you probably have confirmed that.

The DIP switches need to be set to ID 1 LLv2.jpg

I flipped it so that regardless of the orientation of the battery, you would be able to tell how they are supposed to be set. Make sure that the CAN protocol is set to LUX, as well

What kind of cable are you using? Is it a regular ethernet cable or the one that was included? I would recommend getting just a normal ethernet cable and running it from the CAN port, to the inverter..

1701725507684.png

If it's in one of the parallel ports, it will not communicate.

Could you post some photos so we can see how everything is connected?

Last edited:
The DIP switches need to be set to View attachment 181178

I flipped it so that depending on the orientation of that battery

What kind of cable are you using? Is it a regular ethernet cable or the one that was included? I would recommend getting just a normal ethernet cable and running it from the CAN port, to the inverter. Make sure that the CAN protocol is set to LUX, as well.

View attachment 181179

If it's in one of the parallel ports, it will not communicate.

Could you post some photos so we can see how everything is connected?
The correct protocol is EG4. Even though the 6000XP is manufactured by LuxPower Tek it has EG4 firmware and the batteries communicate with the inverter using the EG4 protocol. Mine is working perfectly - li-on battery type 0/EG4 on the inverter - communication protocol on the battery also set to EG4. I didn't have to change any protocol setting on the LL V2 in transitioning from the 3000 EHV to the 6000 XP.

The correct protocol is EG4. Even though the 6000XP is manufactured by LuxPower Tek it has EG4 firmware and the batteries communicate with the inverter using the EG4 protocol.
EG4 is for the 3000, 6500ex, and 6000ex.

6000xp and 18kpv uses the LUX protocol.

If yours is still working, then that's awesome! But I will say that we have had issues with the EG4 protocol trying to communicate with the 18kpv and 6000xp. I would recommend moving over to the LUX protocol.

I know that it's confusing, but we are working towards a more uniform way of doing it, and getting everything to function the same way across the board.

EG4 is for the 3000, 6500ex, and 6000ex.

6000xp and 18kpv uses the LUX protocol.

If yours is still working, then that's awesome! But I will say that we have had issues with the EG4 protocol trying to communicate with the 18kpv and 6000xp. I would recommend moving over to the LUX protocol.

I know that it's confusing, but we are working towards a more uniform way of doing it, and getting everything to function the same way across the board.
That is weird. @Zapper77 - what battery brand do you have set on your setting 3 on the 6000xp? Mine is using 0=EG4 and is working perfectly...

Back