diy solar

diy solar

800 lbs of batteries over floor joists

In that picture. Will the row of batteries be oriented left and right or near to far?

So
The PSF loading of the floor as a whole is irrelevant except insofar as it relates to the total load in the room.
"The PSF loading of the floor as a whole is irrelevant except insofar as it relates to the total load in the room." - That helps a ton, thanks!

has the ends of the floor joists, or is it a (likely) double bearing joist on the wall

Dont know and google didnt help much.

Measure, go to the lumberyard, buy the 2xX, cut to length, fit in place (you might have to cut it short, but this is fine, as you won't crush the existing joist end) and nail it well along the top and bottom - every 6-12".
Are you saying to block the joists with perpendicular pieces between joists? or putting another piece of wood to "sister" the joist? or something else?

1668042576989.png

Left to right, so next to the wall, which I understand is better.
Yes, that's optimal. A lot of weight can be carried there. I wouldn't be concerned, as long as you don't have weight only resting between the joists. (Supported by flooring only)

Hadn't expected the I-beam joists. If they put that in there for joists, either they were doing a long span for your whole floor, in which case your little batteries aren't a big deal, or they needed the vertical height for the pipes/insulation, in which case your floor is so rugged you have no concern at all.

I remember working on a design for a clothing production shop which had 3-1/2"x~15" such joists specced for a 24' clear span, at least 40psf, maybe a bit more. I don't think it reached the point where blocking was needed on the ends for crush strength, but I can't recall for sure. There was also going to be storage for some weight on the walls built on top of said floor, too, though that would have been largely taken by the end box.

Unless you overload your shelf enough to poke through the floor I don't think you can break anything with your planned batteries.

Yes, that's optimal. A lot of weight can be carried there. I wouldn't be concerned, as long as you don't have weight only resting between the joists. (Supported by flooring only)
I remeasured. Gonna have to go on the other wall now actually. Anyways.

Interesting. They only span 12' in the mudroom over the garage floor. I am sure because in the crawlspace the i-beams run the other direction.

So looks over built!

Back