diy solar

diy solar

A couple plug and play options I'm considering for 300-500AH @24V Bank

Meanwell chargers, so reasonable quality there. ? If it was a cheapie unit I'd expect to see something along the lines of the $8 delivered power supplies used for charging.

@Delta-V your posting is very much appreciated, love to see the photo's ! I have been hurting my brain latterly looking to upgrade / replace my FLA's, weighing options and methods and geez, no I am thinking on their pack. I posted a Question as to whether they have any options on that BMS they use. Would be nice to talk to it via wifi, Bluetooth or better to be able to interact with it using Modbus to monitor & adjust but that's not a deal breaker. I have seen a couple of other vendors offer such so maybe.

EDIT: WOW I got a response from the vendor within 30 minutes ! It is Sunday Morning !! and DST Change day no less. somebody had expresso this morn. unfortunately they do not offer options for the BMS, they suggested a coulomb meter... not quite the same thing eh but that's ok.

Last edited:
@Steve_S I'm not aware of any extra features for the BMS. No instructions of any kind were included. I'm guessing it would be a basic BMS for this price-point.

So far, I think the new battery is working well. Initial capacity test - Started with the 26.73V when I took it outta the box (not fully charged), I ran it down to about 24V (3.0V per cell), took all day. Got about 8.5kWh via a Kill-A-Watt meter (added 15% for losses). Had some issues with popping breakers on power strips and overwhelming the inverter that interfered with getting a good begin-to-end measurement (the meter would zero out). But, I feel comfortable these are 24V at 400Ah.

The two 24V 15A chargers (each are 27V 13A), one of them is not working. I opened it up and saw the fuse was blown. I tried to replace it with an automotive 8A 32V fuse but it immediately blew. I just received a pack of GFE 8A 240V fuses today, ordered from Amazon last night (8A 240V was listed on the circuit board next to the fuse holder). These are apparently hard to find locally. Hopefully that's all it is. If not, I'll contact the seller Shunbin.

I used the working charger over-night. Takes forever to charge the battery, averaging about 320 Watts per hour (~12A). Also, I charged the battery with my 1kW solar panel array during the day, which was averaging about 18A on a cloudy day (briefly peaked at 38A or 1,000 Watts). Between the 2, they charged up the battery to just over 10 Kw. One challenge I'm having is, I have various displays and meters and all are not consistent with each other, so this is a rough estimate (I don't have enough solar to charge 10kW in a day). I used a Watts-Up meter with the wall charger to get its numbers and solar charge controller MT50 display for its numbers. I think this was a well enough first test to give me a sense I didn't get smaller cells or if they weren't somehow to spec. They seem to be what they should be.

The BMS has been balancing as expected, both discharge and charge. I'd periodically check the voltage of each cell. All cells stayed reasonably close to each other in voltage throughout the cycle. The low-voltage cut-off is managed by a Victron 220A Battery Protect set at 23.6V, so I didn't get to see if the BMS would disconnect at low voltage. Though, the BMS did stop all charging when the battery was full, ~29.2V. I'd see green flashing lights on the BMS itself and both the wall charger and solar charge controller stopped pushing power. Highest cell voltage I saw was 3.63V. So, the BMS looks to be functioning as expected.

No temperature hotspots that I noticed (by touch and digital infrared thermometer gun), all cells were a couple degrees above room temperature. Ranged from 400 to 1,000 Watts per hour (low C rate) when discharging.

I have a coulomb meter, but need to hook it up with the shunt. I'll do a better test the next time around now that I'm starting with a full battery, but it will take me a few days to run it down again.

Overall I'm happy with the battery thus far. Only real issue is one of the chargers isn't working. Hopefully I just blew the fuse when I was connecting it.

Thanks for the ongoing uopdate, please keep us updated, I want to order this sooner than later and more info at hand is better.
Thanks again on my behalf and for the others reading along here.
Steve

I'm curious about these external chargers. I have a Midnite Classic 200 Charge Controller and Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter Charger and both are very programmable and intend to use them to charge the batteries. The external chargers just for emergencies. Am I missing something or ?

Last edited:
Another Update on ShunBin !
In another conversation I was asked if these can do Serial and/or Parallel to make either 24V/800AH or 48V/400AH etc, in under 5 minutes I got a response, YES they can with no issue. I assumed you could but always best to check, assumptions can make one look like an ass ! *See Politicians for Live Examples" of asses making assumptions !

Update! I just received the 24V 400Ah battery today. I ordered it 20 Oct, it was shipped 25 Oct, I received it 1 Nov (12 days). Shipped from Hong Kong to Japan to Alaska to Kentucky to Florida. No added costs (ie. no customs fees), $2999 with free shipping was the total. A signature was required, so I opted to pick it up at the local UPS warehouse as it's on my way home from work.

This is a heavy battery, 151 lbs (~68.5 Kg) was written on the box.

2 boxes were sent, the large box is the battery, the smaller box is the 24V 30A charger. They were packed very well, completely taped up. The battery was packed in a foam cooler.

26.9V displayed out of the box (26.73V per multimeter). The battery box measures 24" L x 11" W x 10.5" H.

After opening her up, looks to be 16 200Ah cells, 8S2P configuration (24V at 400Ah). The charger looks to be two 24V 15A chargers wired in parallel to make it 24V 30A.

At first glance, I'm happy with it. It's pretty much what I was expecting for the value. I've got the battery temporarily hooked up to my improvised solar powerwall setup. It's currently running my desktop computer with 2 monitors, a stereo, and a pedestal fan (~200 Watts per hour) after I swapped it out with my smaller LiFePO4 battery. No issues so far. I'll be doing a capacity test over the weekend and checking the cells and such as well. I'll provide updates as I go.

View attachment 1630View attachment 1629View attachment 1648View attachment 1647View attachment 1646View attachment 1645View attachment 1644View attachment 1643View attachment 1642

I am, starting another thread on this particular purchase / examination & follow ups. As I JUST pulled the trigger on a 24V/400AH pack via Amazon.CA as well as a Blue Sea Switch. I think it would be good to have a separate thread on this series alone, so others may directly benefit from our collective experiences.

NEW THREAD HERE: https://diysolarforum.com/index.php?threads/shunbin-battery-packs-12v-24v-100ah-and-up.1304/

Last edited:
Thanks for the ongoing uopdate, please keep us updated, I want to order this sooner than later and more info at hand is better.
Thanks again on my behalf and for the others reading along here.
Steve

I'm curious about these external chargers. I have a Midnite Classic 200 Charge Controller and Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter Charger and both are very programmable and intend to use them to charge the batteries. The external chargers just for emergencies. Am I missing something or ?

I don't expect to use the chargers much. I'd like the solar to do all or most of the charging, but I've had occasions where I needed to use the charger when solar wasn't available or sufficient. In my case, I don't have an inverter that can also serve as a charger, yet.

Another Update on ShunBin !
In another conversation I was asked if these can do Serial and/or Parallel to make either 24V/800AH or 48V/400AH etc, in under 5 minutes I got a response, YES they can with no issue. I assumed you could but always best to check, assumptions can make one look like an ass ! *See Politicians for Live Examples" of asses making assumptions !
In the questions & answers section of the USA Amazon listing, someone had asked if they can be series or paralleled.

Delta-V you are my hero right now! Thanks for the photos and the update. As far as plug and play but cheap so far this is absolutely the best deal I've encountered and I'm excited to buy it.

Check this on Amazon. It is also on Alibaba, search shunbin. Comes with 30 amp charger also.
There are two other listings on Amazon from the same seller the 12v batt now has 5 reviews.
Has temp control and they will customize the BMS. This is the best deal I've found out there
Shun the Shunbin batteries and read the thread on this forum about getting ripped off.

Back