diy solar

diy solar

Adding an inverter to boat

CB-OTB

I‘m working through an example of adding an inverter to my boat to run the ac overnight. Currently. I’m using a generator,but would like to avoid the constant hum of the Genset running overnight. Most nights the ac runs about 50% of the time and pulls about 11A .

I would like to power this with a 3000w Multiplus ii 2x120v inverter from victron. I’m considering this inverter since my ac is powered from L2 while the ac pump is powered from L1. This would allow me to leave the load box undisturbed.

What I’m concerned with is that I would be interrupting two 30A circuit (60A total) and placing the 25A inverter in line with the 30A circuits. i would have to manually turn off the other AC loads (cockpit ac, water heater, stove, etc) to keep from shutting down the inverter.

Should I nix that idea and consider adding a separate panel for those loads that would be powered from the inverter? The main reason that I want to avoid the separate panel is due to the fact that I don’t have space in my cabin for a new load panel.

here’s a dirty napkin drawing of what I would like to do.

Attachments

• 0D15A55B-5A95-41CE-8FAE-56342A784026.jpeg
    0D15A55B-5A95-41CE-8FAE-56342A784026.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 13
The victron transfer switch itself is good for 50 amps pass through. That is 50 amps on each side. Some people call this 100 amps for perspective. Yes power would be limited while on inverter and subject to overload if the 3000w is exceeded. But that is true no matter how it is wired.

Diagram looks good. Go 24 volts

I am tempted to stay at 12v, since that could then be used for the rest of my 12v systems, and it would be easier to charge the inverter batteries with the engines. I also already have one 12v, 280ah pack built. It has been built for about three months, but hasn’t been used. I suppose I could add 4 new cells to get to the 24, but I think it would be better practice to put those cells in Parallel instead of series with the older cells.

Either way, thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated!

BOAT... break out another thousand. sure you heard that many times. but a boat in the middle of fuckall ocean is not a place for 2nd tier products. got nothing more to say.

to many damn sharks and i can't fight and swim at the same time.

BOAT... break out another thousand. sure you heard that many times. but a boat in the middle of fuckall ocean is not a place for 2nd tier products. got nothing more to say.

to many damn sharks and i can't fight and swim at the same time.
Funny in my recent lightening strike all my Victron gear fried. The cheap Chinese led fittings and invertor survived fine. !! The issue is “ how you tell tiers “

Back