diy solar

diy solar

Adding Solar to existing boat system (dock power, generator, large battery bank)

danphillips

I am looking to add a solar system to augment our existing power systems. Goal is to provide power to an apartment sized refrigerator and maybe some additional charging of the batteries.

Since we already have a magnum 2812 inverter we do not need to create 120v ac with the new system.

We will use the generator for high power requirements (hot water, oven / stove and air conditioning and fast charging the batteries) however we really like a silent boat. Our main power usage during the day is our refrigerator. (374 kilowatt hours / year).

I am looking to put 400 to 600 watts of solar on the boat and will directly charge the flooded batteries.

This is a slow boat but we do live in a hurricane area (we'll take them down in a hurricane). Panels will be mounted to an solid aluminum bimini.

Does anyone have any advice ?

Last edited:
I assume you have a large 12v lead acid bank? A couple 300w panels (or multiple small ones), a 60a MPPT charge controller and you're all set. 600w should give you over 2 Kwh per day. What kind of advice do you need?

I assume you have a large 12v lead acid bank? A couple 300w panels (or multiple small ones), a 60a MPPT charge controller and you're all set. 600w should give you over 2 Kwh per day. What kind of advice do you need?
SolaRat,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes these are 12v lead acid batteries, which some day I would like to change out to new tech with a deeper discharge. I'm just wondering if there is a better solution, rather new at this solar stuff.

I did what it sounds like you want to do now, over 5 years ago.
I added four 100w panels and two Pmt (not mppt) controllers.
Works like a charm. The output from the controllers is wired to my battery bank directly.

I'm here because I need to replace my battery bank AND my inverter charger this summer.

I get about 50ah out of 200w panels per day in the summer in southern ca. Here is my project

Back