diy solar

diy solar

Alexa SolarEdge Monitoring Skill

TimV2B

I dislike having to use phone apps to get all my solar data. I love using voice to get my solar data while sitting in my easy chair half asleep. So, I wrote an Alexa skill that gives you your SolarEdge monitoring data. And, I just made it public for all to use for free.

You can find my Alexa SolarEdge Monitoring skill in the Alexa store below. Or, go to the Amazon Alexa skill store and search for "SolarEdge Monitoring" by Voice2Biz Inc.

It'll give you all sorts of data: current solar power, current load power, push/pull from grid, battery status, daily, monthly, yearly, lifetime stats, environmental benefits, etc. It'll even display your site's image in the response.

I have a (lousy) video on YouTube to demonstrate some of its functions:

It's currently available in all the various English flavors Amazon supports. It's being used by folks in the US, Germany, UK, Australia, and Slovakia, etc...

It obviously requires that your SolarEdge inverter is sending its data to SolarEdge. I use the SolarEdge API to retrieve your data. The skill will ask you for your site id and API key (requires that you have SolarEdge admin rights for your site, or that your installer gives you your API key). You need to use the Alexa app on your phone or tablet (Amazon does not support using a browser) to type in your site id and API key when asked for it by the skill.

Entering your site id and API key can be confusing so I made a YouTube video on it:

Anyway, if you have an Alexa and are tired of having to use the SolarEdge app each time you want some solar info, try using my Alexa skill.

Cheers,

Tim

Back