diy solar

diy solar

All-in-one vs DIY in pieces

theoldwizard1

I just watched a video about installing an Anker SOLIX system. They sure made it look easy, but it is a pre-packaged hybrid system (add you own panels).

The questioning would you save a lot of $$$ buying individual pieces and assembling it or is this the best way to go !

I know the savingof building you own battery bank from individual cells on a large system could be $1K - $2K, but how about the rest ?

Did you try itemizing it yet? Or were you looking for help in getting started?

Solix is I believe non code compliant so you can start by comparing with that tier of equipment. I believe $1000 per 5 kWh of server rack batteries is possible.

6000XP is a well liked off grid AIO. $1500 for a 120/240 AIO.

Plus balance of system (mounting racks for batteries. wires, fuses, busbars, etc)

What questions remain?

IMO anker is pretty sucky or at best mid outside their core competency. So putting their name on Solix doesn’t make me want it more over other packaged systems

An AIO is definitely more cost effective and a simpler installation. Whether it's an off grid or hybrid.
Also many are stackable. So you can build your system in stages as funds are available.

IMO the main advantage of those packaged systems is portability and touch safety when you need to move them around a lot. I know people like handtruck systems and all but you have to be really delusional to think the packaging beats an EcoFlow or Solix.

If you are just doing a fixed installation, having everything encased nicely has little benefit… if you really care about that you could buy any number of code compliant AC batteries.

Also a Solix F3800 costs almost the same as an Enphase 3P battery. The latter is fully code compliant. The main difference is that the F3800 is installable with zero knowledge. (Also the Enphase 3P requires extra components to form a backup system, and does not have DC solar option).

For something with a DC solar option one of the powerwalls is a comparison point.

I would say these packaged systems have the value pricing markup down about perfect for “installable with zero knowledge”. Otherwise people wouldn’t be buying them.

Back