diy solar

diy solar

Any experience with the sure power 1314-a or 1314-200 battery isolator (separator)

Steve Dally

I've been using the 1314a to isolate the starter battery (lead acid) from my house batteries (lifepo4), but that part of the system was installed prior to my switching to lifepo.. so I'm now worried that maybe I'm not sufficiently protecting the lifepo or the lead acid. I can see that the voltage on the starter battery gets all the way up to 14.2, along with my lifepo4... I know lifepo enjoys that kind of voltage, but can the starter battery handle that? do I need to switch to a dc to dc charger or a lithium specific isolator? I'd rather not, due to space restrictions (the sure power is quite small) and also because I love the way the surepower charges my lifepo all the way up, giving them 60 amps until they're up to about 13.8v, and then gradually tapering the amperage as they approach 14.0v. Would other isolators be as effecient (the Li-BIM, for example) anyway, any thoughts on all of this? Sorry about the multiple and unorganized questions!
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Back