diy solar

diy solar

Anybody seen the new Homegrid Battery System in Operation?

ElectricIslander

Solar Enthusiast
There is a new (to me anyways) modular stacking battery system. It has UL9450 etc certification, closed loop with Schneider, Sol Ark, Victron, Outback etc via CAN/RS485. Real time monitoring, mobile remote access, 10 Yr warranty.

Their 5 kW LiFePO4 modules in their 48 V "Stack'd Series" battery system stack ( two to eight high) with no need for busbars or cabling. They have heating as an option and power output goes to 14.4 kW continous, Surge 24 kW (10 Sec) Capacity is up to 38.4 kWh per stack (576 kWhr total). They have an ourdoor case option as well.

Anybody got any real world experience with Homegrid as a company or their products? Here is a link to their website:

HOMEGRID

There is a new (to me anyways) modular stacking battery system. It has UL9450 etc certification, closed loop with Schneider, Sol Ark, Victron, Outback etc via CAN/RS485. Real time monitoring, mobile remote access, 10 Yr warranty.

Their 5 kW LiFePO4 modules in their 48 V "Stack'd Series" battery system stack ( two to eight high) with no need for busbars or cabling. They have heating as an option and power output goes to 14.4 kW continous, Surge 24 kW (10 Sec) Capacity is up to 38.4 kWh per stack (576 kWhr total). They have an ourdoor case option as well.

Anybody got any real world experience with Homegrid as a company or their products? Here is a link to their website:

HOMEGRID
I run them. They do everything the spec sheets say. Expensive but they meet the most stringent permitting requirements and can easily handle huge loads. No regrets here.

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/2x-sol-ark-15ks-homegrid-stacks.54661/

I watch this youtube channel, Simple Living Alaska, and they bought a Sol ark and decent sized homegrid system in the spring for their new cabin.

I've been wait for that video all summer, they got their array up but have been doing every other project before commisioning. They better get to it soon before those batteries die in storage.

But the percentage of this community that is willing to pay even 50% over commodity products is low, and homegrid is a 100%+ premium.

I have a 4 module stack. They are new (installed in November 2023). Discharge so far is great. Charging is bad. The BMS limits to 80 Amps (20 per module) max even though the specs call for 300 allowed. My 15K Sol-Ark can only do 275A, but super disappointed that they lie about the charging capability. Had open Tickets with them for 2 months now and their service department is useless. No solution and no one there seems to know anything about the BMS algorithm for control settings. I asked for the limit curves based on temps and SOC and they haven’t been able to provide any specs. Maybe their is some magic perfect spot in the temp and soc ranges they allow the max charge, but so far all
I ever get is 20 amps a module.

For what it's worth, I also have a 4-module stack, installed December 2023. I've seen it charge at >90 A for at least an hour, so I haven't hit that 20A / module limit @Tpilgeram has. Still not fully commissioned here, so I can't attest to any higher currents yet. All this sitting

One thing I'll comment about this battery: it has put out the quoted 19.4 kWh when cycles 100%-0%, and they warranty it when cycled daily from 100% to 0% to 100%. It's nice that they're advertising the usable range.

Interestingly, the packs appear to be 15S, not 16S, which is a bummer if you ever wanted to mix-and-match with any other 48V batteries. Voltages seem to range from 3.31V/cell at 100% SoC down to 3.17V/cell at 10% SoC, which seems about right if they're planning for normal usage across the full range. (by SoC, I mean their estimate of SoC)

I have seen something quirky: my voltage discharge curve is... lumpy. This is at a constant 1000W discharge:
1706935296486.png
It's consistent across multiple cycles, all at room temperature. I can only assume the modules' BMS's are doing something clever. No idea what though. Quite curious if other people see the same thing.

Back