diy solar

diy solar

Anyone with knowledge of the TT electrical networks used in France and Japan?

Ok, if that's the case then the solution is simple, just using the inverter's built-in bonding relay, right?

@Hedges (if I understood him correctly) was saying that the inverter was an island that needed to supply a N/E bond when it switched to running from battery.
When it switches the grid connection off, and only runs from battery. (And/or solar)

Whew! Ok that's a big one to get out of the way. Thanks a lot guys! (y)

I'm not familiar with TT, but N/E bond to be provided when disconnected from grid (running from battery and/or PV), not when still connected to grid and adding power from battery in parallel with grid power (don't know if your Deye does, my brand does.)

First drawing posted above by Bop shows L1/L2/L3 in various configurations.
The others only show L.
OP has L1/L2.

OP also has N, but not G. So this is a case where lost N leaves single phase loads on L1 or L2 in series with N, same lost neutral issue we have in the US, can be over-voltage and brownout.

I'm glad to hear that N is supposed to bond to G when inverter gets isolated from the grid, same as US so I understand it.

Input 3-pole 60A breaker isolates N from grid as well as L1 and L2, like a mobile application in the US.
Following this 3-pole breaker is RCD, meeting the requirement of breaker protection for RCD that was mentioned by Bop.

I think OP should add another RCD followed by inverter, so:
60A breaker --> RCD --> inverter --> RCD --> breaker panel busbar
(because based on the photo it doesn't appear feasible to connect inverter after existing RCD)

OP needs access to a ground wire for the inverter to do N/G bond.

If OP's system matches TT drawing given by Bop, equipment chassis does NOT connect to N. That is something which can be checked with DMM, turn off main breaker and use ohm meter. Can also check that chassis of multiple devices are connected together. But don't know if that is because they happen to share a water pipe, or because there is a ground rod. Would be nice to know there is a dedicated ground.

OP also mentioned to me he saw a dangling green wire on a pole outside, suspicion is grid has lost its N/G bond.

but N/E bond to be provided when disconnected from grid (running from battery and/or PV)
@timselectric @Bop @crossy
Maybe one of you could respond to this?
Here again @Hedges is suggesting that the inverter needs to supply an N/E bond when the inverter is running from battery or PV even though it's connected to grid.

OP also mentioned to me he saw a dangling green wire on a pole outside, suspicion is grid has lost its N/G bond.
If the information about TT is correct, isn't the N/G bond is provided much earlier in the circuit? Not sure but that green wire could be for an outdoor light supplied by the utility that stopped working ages ago.

Here again @Hedges is suggesting that the inverter needs to supply an N/E bond when the inverter is running from battery or PV even though it's connected to grid.
I think that you misunderstood what he said.
I'm not familiar with TT, but N/E bond to be provided when disconnected from grid (running from battery and/or PV), not when still connected to grid and adding power from battery in parallel with grid power

@Hedges
So you agree there is no need for the inverter to supply a N-E bond when it auto-switches to running from battery?

@timselectric @Bop @crossy
Maybe one of you could respond to this?

If the information about TT is correct, isn't the N/G bond is provided much earlier in the circuit? Not sure but that green wire could be for an outdoor light supplied by the utility that stopped working ages ago.
When it is running as a gridtie, no N/E bond is required (and at least in France is a definite nono!!!) ONLY required when operating in island mode (no grid supply present at all)- inverters with the relay are ok, inverters that manually disconnect it via removing a screw or link aren't allowed there unless alternative (external) switching is used (ie a 'automatic transfer switch' suitably wired)

I think when you open that first 60A breaker, the inverter and household loads have absolutely no connection to grid (L1, L2, N all open).
Therefore you (or inverter) need to bond N to G.

If the inverter wants to open its internal relays to disconnect from grid for any reason (voltage or frequency out of spec), I don't know whether your model inverter opens N as well as L1 and L2. If a mobile inverter, it would, and could bond N to G.

If your inverter doesn't open N, then bonding N to G would be a second bond in addition to what TT provides, so I don't know how to make that compliant with such automatic switching. A manual transfer switch, select between TT grid and inverter (or any generator), that would work with hard bond of N to G at inverter.

Agreed, as already stated a few times.
However, as mentioned a few times now..

Not every deye/sunsynk model has this contactor build in.
I know for a fact that the 12k 3 phase has them, I told you to test if your 8k has them too..
If not , you should use the dry contact method as described in the provide instruction/installer course video's

I told you to test if your 8k has them too..
If not , you should use the dry contact method as described in the provide instruction/installer course video's
Right haven't had a chance to do that yet. But I'm on it, Master Yoda.

It will do what it needs to do when it needs to do it.
And it won't do what it doesn't need to do when it doesn't need to do it.
Not to mention the fact that it won't not do what it shouldn't not do when it shouldn't.
And it won't... oh nevermind. ;)

Back