diy solar

diy solar

Appliance energy benchmark dot com

65NW

Its got electrolytes
There are plenty of sites that say how many watts various appliances consume based off the electrical data plate.
"Toaster 700 to 1200w"

They often have pretty large range as it covers a large set of models, making it rather less useful for anything besides peak inverter sizing.

I'm envisioning a page (if one does not exist, I hope it does) similar to cpubenchmark- for comparing the performance of computer hardware, but for appliances.
How many Wh does a dishwasher use in a cycle? Its not the max current multiplied by the time to run a cycle.
Plug it into a kill a watt meter and record the usage. Put in notes like which setting and incoming water temp.
How many Wh per 24 hours to run this or that model fridge at a given room temperature?

In my post about putting my heating system on a ups backup https://diysolarforum.com/threads/kilovault-hlx-for-ups.74057/post-955587 I was rather surprised at how much power it consumes. Circ pumps, zone valves, the boiler, radiator fan. All adds up to almost 200w average!
(My boiler guy says there are now PM circ pumps that consume much less power.
But require magnetic "screens" to prevent build up of any metal in the system from gumming up the pump. But I digress)

Yes, there are too many variables to characterize usage for all things, in all scenarios. It would be a good starting point for sizing battery packs though. With real world, crowdsourced data.

Compare this to something like ERGYGUIDE which makes lots of assumptions to normalize data across an entire class of appliance. And their data is often annualized when I want per device use data (hour/cycle).

I know, if its such a great idea I should just go build it... Fair enough!

You can get the draw from the sticker on each device or else measure it with a kill-a-watt meter.
In most cases, when designing your solar system you will need the actual draw of your specific devices rather than some generic average.

You can get the draw from the sticker on each device or else measure it with a kill-a-watt meter.
In most cases, when designing your solar system you will need the actual draw of your specific devices rather than some generic average.
Okay....
But how many Wh per slice of toast is it?

That was a bit of a joke because a toaster is a linear load. The point of this idea is to pool data on the average power of non linear or cyclical loads. but I did include a toaster (16.5wh per slice). :)

Again,
Max power is good for sizing inverters.
Average power is better for sizing batteries and estimating run time.

Here is a google form to prototype this. See the calculations tab for metrics like average power and duty cycle.

Form: https://forms.gle/PALRdEMzWFqkGY5F8

Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/114N7D4whi2xLWwNcceEphE4JVqcZ1UZAmWGKpNczIsc/edit

please share and add to it!

Sample:
1704957498326.png

Back