diy solar

diy solar

Are relays needed for 8s Chargery BMS ?

felixdennis

Hi,

I have 8x 280ah LifePo4 coming to build 24v battery. I got the Chargery BMS and didn't realize I need to use relays to charge/discharge.

Is there any tutorials on this? Are relays required to get this setup going?

No tutorials as of yet. Relays most likely are required to use the Chargery. But not always. For instance I can plug the charge lead of the Chargery into my midnite classic SCC and it has a function to stop charging. Some but not many inverters may work similarly.
So if your equipment can turn on and off via a 12v signal from the Chargery it will work without relays. What is your charger and your inverter.
In another thread I am testing some Solid state relay for use with Chargery.

Thanks Craig. I'm thinking about using the MPP all-in-one charger/inverter.

Will's idea of using SSR to control inverter makes sense here:

My question is how to shut off solar charger if battery is charged etc. What setup do you recommend for this situation?

The Chargery uses the relays to stop Charge / Discharge when the conditions require it, such as Over Voltage, Under Voltage, Temperature out of specified range and so on. Without the Relays the BMS cannot control input / output, it then becomes an over glorified & very expensive balancer.

We are presently poking around with Solid State Relays & Energy Saving Contactors which are far more power frugal than the standard relay/contactors that Chargery Supplies. I am actually rewriting (anglicizing & clarifying) the darn thing, sometime next week I'll have the drafts up to Chargery for them to finalize. There has been a lot of furtling around with the Relays by many of us and some of us just have to find a better solution for the different use cases.

Back