diy solar

diy solar

Are these panels worth getting?

Liam M

These are available locally $75/panel.
They are 3BB, does that indicate they are older panels?
Would they be a good choice, or skip?

Attachments

• IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 42
Not sure what 3bb is.

I do think$75 is a good deal for that panel. Just inspect for cosmetic flaws and if able do a VOC check. An ISC would be a little harder without a hook ammeter.

Because used, Not eligible for solar credit. I’d use them.

They are 2014 vintage 16% efficient poly-crystalline modules. About $50 worth ($0.15/w) or less.
ja-315.JPG

In the age of $0.1/watt new panels shipping out of China it's hard to justify these old and inefficient panels. If not for these tariffs we could have brand new modern $0.15/watt panels and this 10 year old junk would be almost worthless to deal with.

Last edited:
In the age of $0.1/watt new panels shipping out of China it's hard to justify these old and inefficient panels. If not for these tariffs we could have brand new modern $0.15/watt panels and this 10 year old junk would be almost worthless to deal with.

Priced properly, it's great if people that can afford the ugliness / extra square footage can upcycle these old panels out of the garbage bin.

Sometimes I wonder if we can find a really cost-efficient way to ship this old bulky stuff over to parts of the world that can really use it...

It costs at least $5/panel to haul them away to the landfill. Crating and shipping them would probably cost near as much as new panels.

Yeah, that is why I qualified it with "cost-efficient". Labor alone is going to be kind of crazy (though I guess if it's for a good cause you could get some volunteer labor. The non-profit's risk-management and insurance is going to be upset though when they find out volunteers are lifting 50 lb panels all the time and stacking up pallets)

It's probably cheaper for a container ship to drop off a few extras along the way from china to the US / Europe, than to send old stuff back along the way.

That's a good point. One back injury could tank the whole operation.
We have a local non-profit solar installer, that I'm on the volunteer list for. And we do handle things that big / do roof mounts. But the insurance is I believe passed onto the customer so there's a better chance of balancing the books from the project revenue.

If you're doing something as low value add (in the sense of cashflow, not social benefit) as carefully shipping ancient solar panels to the developing world, you're going to need a constant stream of cash donations to pay for that insurance.

It's probably cheaper for a container ship to drop off a few extras along the way from china to the US / Europe, than to send old stuff back along the way.
You know this could be a thing. Like the whole "buy one give one" schtick when people are selling expensive socks Direct To Consumer.

Back