diy solar

diy solar

Automatic isolation switch (200 amp) for AC Coupled PV setup

Sal23

Is there a 200a 230VAC automatic isolation switch that can be used in US? An automatic transfer switch, especially for generators, seems over-engineered for this purpose when all that is needed is magnetic relay type of switch that will cut off the grid supply during power outage (by being positioned between the utility meter and first tap of the supply lines).

Investigating this in case local code or utility might require automatic disconnect from the grid even when the ac coupled inverter is anti-islanding certified.

I looked around this forum but didn't find anything that is big enough (200a 230VAC).

200 amp ac contactor switch. Use a 24v powersupply hooked up on the grid side to keep the contactor closed. When the grid goes down, 24v power is lost, and contactor opens.

Thank you, @DIYrich. NC contactor is what I was looking at. Something like this. Is that what you are suggesting (that is, describing how these contractors work, through 24v power supply to magnetically keep contacts closed)? If so, would you have a reliable contactor recommendation for US grid?

If you are suggesting making it myself using some kind of switch + magnetic control via 24v supply, would you have a part list (and good to have schematics as well)?

Please don’t try to re-engineer UL1741 all by yourself. At the very least a break near your house will result in your house supplying power to the relay.

Back