diy solar

diy solar

Batrium SMA Sunny Island Integration issue?

I don't see what this is testing for if the SI won't go above say 30A when charging right now, I say right no as if the batter was lower in voltage (currently 53.4 I think) I Have seen it max out at the amps set.

I set it to 140 which should be .5C
Screenshot_20240426-115140.png

Have had the 1kw load on the system for a little now. SI is charging the batteries and it peaked at 110a before I dropped it back down to 70 as the high setting. I know you love me.

With the added load the charging changed from float to boost. And it is boosting off and on, will see what changes if anything. I can revert the amp max in a moment if required.

So a load kept it from getting knocked offline?

Maybe altered SB settings will keep things on line without that.

SI can enable a switching relay when there is surplus production available. You could connect that to a dump load. Maybe water heater, with its thermostat when off sending power to an air-cooled dump load.

Currently at 84% SOC, still have 1kw load, battery charging around 35a.

Our water heater isn't even hooked up yet, but it will be preheated with our 1080 gallon thermal storage tank which is heated from either the boiler or, most of the time, our solar evacuated tubes ... so it might be it never comes on in the summer when the sun is out lol

Maybe send the load to an antminer ... haven't got one but I could see it using a lot of energy.

What we really want is frequency controlled continuously variable dump load.
SMA used to offer Smart Load 6000, which did that outputting DC for a heating element.

A PFC AC/DC supply with controllable current limit could do it, if we made a frequency to voltage converter.

With heating elements of 1kW, 2kW, 4kW etc., a uP could close relays or SCR to staircase load in response to sampled frequency.

94.8% SOC now .. still kicking at 30amps in boost mode with 1 minute before it switches to float mode. 1kw dump load still running ... I like it but it still means "work" till we have a real dump load of living on site.

Back