diy solar

diy solar

Batteries not charging suddenly -- MT50

kcross888

I have an MT50 remote meter (which to be honest, I hate). Starting this morning (I didn't check it over the weekend or yesterday) in full sun, the battery icon in the middle shows empty, the "face" icon shows straight mouth (not a smile) and there are no "charging" indicators. Also the left symbol keeps switching between a crescent moon and the sun and panels.

There was a snow storm up here last week but I cleared the panels right afterwards and they worked all that day and the next day.

I don't even know how to start troubleshooting this.

Start at your panels, check the wiring for power, proceed to each connection until you find the damaged wire.

Start at your panels, check the wiring for power, proceed to each connection until you find the damaged wire.
Visual inspection and the wiring appears to be in perfect shape. The only thing it would be would be some kind of animal damage, and there's nothing like that.

There's a device in the back EPEVER Tracer series -- looks like the panels wire directly into that. The PV light is not lit. Seems like that might be an issue -- but I'm guessing. There's literally nothing between the panels, wiring, and this EPEVER device, and the wiring is in perfect condition.

I didn't see a way to "reboot" the EPEVER device, I figured I'd try that... But don't know how...

There's a device in the back EPEVER Tracer series -- looks like the panels wire directly into that. The PV light is not lit. Seems like that might be an issue -- but I'm guessing. There's literally nothing between the panels, wiring, and this EPEVER device, and the wiring is in perfect condition.

I didn't see a way to "reboot" the EPEVER device, I figured I'd try that... But don't know how...
To reboot it, you disconnect the solar first, then disconnect the battery.
Wait 10 minutes, then reconnect battery first, wait a minute, then connect pv

If you have no voltage from the panels, there is a problem with the panels, the x means your battery is discharged.

Visual inspection and the wiring appears to be in perfect shape. The only thing it would be would be some kind of animal damage, and there's nothing like that.
Visual inspection tells you little.
Disconnect at the junction, use a volt meter and determine if the panels are producing voltage. If they have power at the panels, but not at the controller...
Check every connection from there until you find the damaged wire.

Back