diy solar

diy solar

Battery cable length - from Lynx distributor

I forgot to add it should be done under battery power only, no PV.

When PV is available, the battery cable length can have minimal effect on the results. I am curious about the results and see if it matches up with voltage drop calculators and the effects on the inverters.
I have my shower late at night, and have the bathroom heater on at the same time - I've been doing that every night since the inverters were set up, no problems.

I'll try to do a test tonight and take some screenshots under high load.

I've just turned on the heated pads in between the batteries, as I believe the ideal temperature is 25C. I'm going to buy a couple of 'smart sockets' which you control with a mobile phone app, so that I can turn the heated pads on and off from inside my house, rather than having to go outside when it's freezing cold, and opening the door on the inverter shed to turn them on (which will allow more cold air in.)

Toolstation have a special offer of three for the price of two on D-Link Smart Sockets (I think they were D-Link), £21 for 3, including free delivery.
Look for thermostatic sockets with a temperature probe, so you won't forget to turn it on/off.

I believe the ideal temperature is 25C.
I believe the ideal temperature to keep them at is some intersection of available power, power cost, outside temperature, and battery cell temperature, convolved with internal heating when batteries are charging/discharging.

Look for thermostatic sockets with a temperature probe, so you won't forget to turn it on/off.
I've bought TP-Link TP100 sockets, they have a timer function, so I can just set them for a certain number of hours, and they will automatically turn off. Amazing technology, I've just set them up (not that the batteries need heating at the moment), and it only took a few minutes for each socket.

Here are more screenshots from today, when I was getting just shy of 10kW off 12kW of solar panels!

2024 Feb 27th 4.PNG2024 Feb 27th 5.PNG2024 Feb 27th 6.PNG

I have taken screenshots of the inverters running an oven and an electric shower simultaneously, I will post them up later today. Everything ran perfectly, I think PV output was under a kW, so most of the power was coming from the batteries.

Here are the screenshots - the electric oven (3kW, I think) and electric shower (4.5kW) and background power, coming to 8,370W.
2024 Feb 29th 1.PNG2024 Feb 29th 2.PNG

Last edited:
It's now thirteen or fourteen weeks since I had the inverters set up by my electrician, and there have been ZERO problems. Each inverter's MPPT seems to work slightly differently, the voltages and amps never match, but generally both of my 6kW strings give out the same amount of power.
I have finally removed the hot water tank jackets from the batteries, as they were just over 30C yesterday.

Back