diy solar

diy solar

Heat from Victron Energy MultiPlus 3000 Watt 12 Volt Inverter & 120 Amp Battery Charger

pabla007

I have following items installedin my RV.
1) Victron Energy MultiPlus 3000 Watt 12 Volt Inverter & 120 Amp Battery Charger
2: Qty:2 --> EG4 | LifePower4 Lithium Battery | 12V 400AH ( hooked up as parallel)
3:) GX Touch Wall Mount
4) Lynx Shunt VE.Can
5) Lynx Distributor
6) Lynx Power In
7) Cerbo GX

Please review the attached pictures to understand my situation. I purchased all this equipment about two years ago and finally finished installing it last week. The Victron Multiplus, when running, generates a significant amount of noise and heat. Currently, I have the Victron Multiplus installed in storage, with the battery situated underneath the bed on the other side of the wall from the Victron Multiplus. They are only one foot away from each other, with a wall in between.

My first question pertains to reducing the noise generated by the Multiplus. How can I make it run quieter?

Secondly, I'm curious about how others manage the heat generated in their storage rooms. In one of the pictures, you can see I am running the wire from underneath the RV. I'm contemplating adding a fan there to either push air into or out of the storage area. I would appreciate hearing other people's opinions on this matter.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to provide further details about my setup.

Attachments

• RV.jpg
    RV.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 20
  • inverter.jpg
    inverter.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Inverter 2.jpg
    Inverter 2.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 20
  • power line .jpg
    power line .jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 20
  • running wires under RV.jpg
    running wires under RV.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 20
Please review the attached pictures to understand my situation. I purchased all this equipment about two years ago and finally finished installing it last week. The Victron Multiplus, when running, generates a significant amount of noise and heat. Currently, I have the Victron Multiplus installed in storage, with the battery situated underneath the bed on the other side of the wall from the Victron Multiplus. They are only one foot away from each other, with a wall in between.

My first question pertains to reducing the noise generated by the Multiplus. How can I make it run quieter?

1) Improve compartment ventilation.

2) Silence Fan assistant.

This effectively disables the fan and also derates the charger and inverter.

You could wire aux1 to relay 2 of your cerbo and control it via VRM.

1713248191017.png

Or do a manual switch.

Reactions: JRH
As I have lived in a similar size and design RV for almost 10 years I feel your pain..
As I have a lot similar type Victron gear as you I can further feel your pain..
As I went through mentally all you have to deal with now, I’m getting anxiety.

WOW…

From the pics Im guessing about certain things

I think your gear is mounted in a fwd pass- thru and that the multiplus is located almost directly under where your head lays when sleeping.. probably about a foot or so from your head .

On many boats and RVs, if somthing is attached to the structure , unlike in a solid house it “ may “ transfer any noise or vibration into a larger area ( think water pump ) ..they can be quiet…. or noisy as hell..it depends on how they are mounted and where and etc…etc..
resonation is not your friend..

Adressing the fan noise is your issue with the multi.., you may can remount it on a sonically insulated stand off board to help with the vibration or sounds your amplifying through your frame but the fan noise is still only a few inches away from your head..
While its not really noisy , at that distance it could be pretty loud..

While I chose not to mount any gear in my pass- thru but in a trailer, I can still hear things running thru my frame sometimes so I put a nice occilating fan near the bed to be louder than a random noise that sometimes annoys me..

The heat issue is further making the multi be noisy as it’s fan will kick in more often and earlier if it’s hot… or under load ….or both..

Everything you have mounted in there is creating heat and you only have about an 8x3x2 ft space or about 48 cu ft with no ventilation of cool air .. unless it’s winter that place will get hot…

Since you have a lot of equipment running you may be best off to mount two vent plates inside your shared bulkhead ….in the bedroom….and get 2 dedicated inline blower fans 4 inch or 6 inch .and mount them near your gear in the compartment
( I have two in my solar trailer gear) …

works great….blowthe air ON the bottom and up thru the multi and the other pulling air out of the bedroom into your pass thru compartment and sending it outside or to the underbelly area via a flexible hose they make for those units. DO NOT suck air from the bilge/ underbelly and blow into the compartment or RV ..
Sometimes it can get foul or stink depending on time of year , leaks a dead mouse or other things… not all holding tanks are perfect in designs and fittings ..

The fans I have are remote variable speed control .super low draw , huge output , quiet and run continuously for about 10 years ..(AC Infinity Co) adjust them to what reduces the temp for ya…

I think you can improve the issues a good bit but not eliminate them…the biggest thing is get Alot of air moving thru that compartment… the gear will be quieter and run more efficiently..

Good luck to ya ..

J.

1) Improve compartment ventilation.

2) Silence Fan assistant.

This effectively disables the fan and also derates the charger and inverter.

You could wire aux1 to relay 2 of your cerbo and control it via VRM.

View attachment 209592

Or do a manual switch.
Once again you showed up a min before I posted… 🤣

With a little luck, I may have an automated solution where the inverter fan goes silent if load is < 300W and on if > 300W. Trying to get confirmation from the smarter folks over at community.

How hot is the bay getting? It's normal for the bay to be warmer but shouldn't be super hot. That bays large I dont see heat being an issue.

If the noise is the issue I'd focus more on sound deadening the top of the bay and sealing any holes.

Vrm should have the temp logs so you can see exactly how hot it is and when, and compared to load. If also suggest getting some ruuvi temp sensors they integrate directly and I use them to track outside temp, bay temp, indoor temp, and even fridge temps. Victron sends email if any issues.

I have 2 Quattro 5000s in a bay like yours and don't have issues with heat. Usually 10 degrees warmer than ambient. Great for winter as they help keep tanks warmer

Vrm should have the temp logs so you can see exactly how hot it is and when, and compared to load.

VRM will only log temperature if sensors are installed.

I may have an automated solution consisting of the Silence fan assistant, two programmable relays and wires connecting NO/COM to Aux 1.

1713277121243.png

The "300W" should be chosen to be below your typical overnight load for both categories. "300 seconds" should be altered as needed to ensure the fan isn't silenced too frequently and to allow some fan run time if needed. "15 seconds" should be kept low to ensure the fan is enabled quickly if the inverter load increases.

Attachments

• 1713276939124.png
    1713276939124.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 1
Back