diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn or Renogy Lifepo4 batteries

jjrite

Can anyone tell me why I should not save some money and go with Renogy batteries? Are Battleborn just that good?

The BB look pretty good. I wish I could afford them. I am hoping the Renogy 170ah ones come down to their March 2019 price of $980 of so for BF or CM this week. Keeping my fingers crossed. I really don't want to buy cells and build my own unless I have too. -Bill

Terminals on battle born are better. So is the warranty.
And the renogy CANNOT be series connected.

But if you need the battery for a tiny system with parallel connections only, the renogy is fine. If you can get on sale, go for it. I would get a battle born. I am trying to find a better battery right now. Battle born is hard to beat. That thing will last for a decade.

And the renogy CANNOT be series connected.

But if you need the battery for a tiny system with parallel connections only, the renogy is fine. If you can get on sale, go for it. I would get a battle born. I am trying to find a better battery right now. Battle born is hard to beat. That thing will last for a decade.

Thanks Will! Have you seen BattleBorn go on sale?

And the renogy CANNOT be series connected. But if you need the battery for a tiny system with parallel connections only, the renogy is fine. If you can get on sale, go for it. I would get a battle born. I am trying to find a better battery right now. Battle born is hard to beat. That thing will last for a decade.

@Will Prowse I am probably going to use the Renogy 170ah's for a 510 ~ 680 AH system. (3 or 4 in parallel) for my RV. Are you aware of an issue with 3 or 4 of those in parallel?

I would love the BB's but I have two issues, the max # of BB's I can fit in my battery box is 500ah due to size constraints (4@gc2 batts & 1 grp23 batt.) And that price. I would prefer the 10 yr warranty and really loved the BB take apart video. The quality was superb!

Holy cow thats a big battery. Very nice.

And it should work fine. Oh good point on the size constraint. The 170ah should suite you fine.

Holy cow thats a big battery. Very nice. And it should work fine. Oh good point on the size constraint. The 170ah should suite you fine.

LOL, you must be single.... you haven't experienced their requirement for the hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave and toaster to all be working at the same time yet. Just wait! :confused: -Bill

LOL, you must be single.... you haven't experienced their requirement for the hair dryer, coffee maker, microwave and toaster to all be working at the same time yet. Just wait! :confused: -Bill

I think you left off running the air conditioning too! I spec'd out the projected power loads for a school being built in Africa that was totally off grid. She wanted 2 small buildings air conditioned with up to 3 days of no sun! I kept a straight face and said that may not be practical.

I think you left off running the air conditioning too! I spec'd out the projected power loads for a school being built in Africa that was totally off grid. She wanted 2 small buildings air conditioned with up to 3 days of no sun! I kept a straight face and said that may not be practical.
And CONSTANTLY LOWERING THE TEMP on the ac... I had to digitally lock out ANY adjustment on the thermostat, because if it wasn’t running, she would turn it down lower... it was on 62 one time!

We purchased 4 BB 100ah last summer while in Oregon and the dealer discounted $100, I have heard of people getting bigger discounts through Battle Born in Sparks Nevada.

We purchased 4 BB 100ah last summer while in Oregon and the dealer discounted $100, I have heard of people getting bigger discounts through Battle Born in Sparks Nevada.
They too gave me $100 off two batteries, no tax, no shipping charges. I don't think you can beat that!

I was also impressed with BB interior construction.

Curious if BB has any plans to build larger batteries. I think they would do well with 200, 300 or even larger amp batteries in 12v and 24v. I think a single BMS regulating a single battery could be more cost effective and more efficient. Lifeblue has options like this and probably how I would go if I were looking for a drop in wanting 300 amps vs. buying 3 batteries each BMS thinking for themselves.

If you join Escapees the BB are $874 each. They are currently making a 250~ AH battery under their parent company name of Dragon "something" They showed it during a show in a 5th wheel. I think only beta versions are available to the select few. And I am not one of them. :cry: -Bill

I was also impressed with BB interior construction.

Curious if BB has any plans to build larger batteries. I think they would do well with 200, 300 or even larger amp batteries in 12v and 24v. I think a single BMS regulating a single battery could be more cost effective and more efficient. Lifeblue has options like this and probably how I would go if I were looking for a drop in wanting 300 amps vs. buying 3 batteries each BMS thinking for themselves.
the only drawback would be for people like me that can't lift heavy things.

If you join Escapees the BB are $874 each. They are currently making a 250~ AH battery under their parent company name of Dragon "something" They showed it during a show in a 5th wheel. I think only beta versions are available to the select few. And I am not one of them. :cry: -Bill
I was all on-board with Escapees. They gave me incorrect info though, about insurance, about getting a drivers license, etc. I was out of state and at the time, they gave completely different info than their website and talking to them on the phone. I might use them one day if they can get that together. That's good to know about the batteries though.

Interesting. I never thought to call them for the DL stuff.

I just drove over the local CHP office and they spent an hour with me going over all the requirements to drive a 40' motorhome with air brakes and 35,000 lbs with a CA drivers license. For insurance I ended up with the Hartford via AARP, it was $400 less per year than everyone else for the exact same coverage. And its since gone down a few dollars each year. And HAHA... I just opened the renewal notice. It went down $20 for next year.

Interesting. I never thought to call them for the DL stuff.

I just drove over the local CHP office and they spent an hour with me going over all the requirements to drive a 40' motorhome with air brakes and 35,000 lbs with a CA drivers license. For insurance I ended up with the Hartford via AARP, it was $400 less per year than everyone else for the exact same coverage. And its since gone down a few dollars each year. And HAHA... I just opened the renewal notice. It went down $20 for next year.
my insurance NEVER goes down, with no tickets or accidents, and low driving miles. ?? It only goes up EVERY year.

Back