diy solar

diy solar

Best way to monitor/control battery temperatures in a Victron Ecosystem?

ADDvanced

My system:

690 Watts of Panels, 150/45 SmartSolar Charger, 1200w Phoenix Inverter, Cerbo GX connected to a 5g router with good reception, and a Smart Shunt attached to 400Ah of self heating LitTime batteries.

Last winter, the batteries did not charge reliably until I insulated them and got them to stay warm (irony!). I'd like to avoid this BS this year, so I'm wanting to install a backup heating system, that ideally would be programmable to run for 10-30 minutes early in the morning, so the batteries are warm enough to begin taking a charger when the sun comes out.

I have purchased some seedling heat mats that take AC.

Current Thoughts:

Option 1: Plug the matts into the inverter directly, and turn the inverter on remotely, maybe program it to come on in the morning.

Option 2: Use something else that can keep track of time/date, like some sort of smart outlet?

I would like to also monitor the temps of my batteries. I am going to build an insulated battery box when I'm out there in a few weeks, and I'm not sure what temperature sensor to get. Does it go into the Cerbo GX or the Smart Shunt?

My system:

690 Watts of Panels, 150/45 SmartSolar Charger, 1200w Phoenix Inverter, Cerbo GX connected to a 5g router with good reception, and a Smart Shunt attached to 400Ah of self heating LitTime batteries.

Last winter, the batteries did not charge reliably until I insulated them and got them to stay warm (irony!). I'd like to avoid this BS this year, so I'm wanting to install a backup heating system, that ideally would be programmable to run for 10-30 minutes early in the morning, so the batteries are warm enough to begin taking a charger when the sun comes out.

I have purchased some seedling heat mats that take AC.

Current Thoughts:

Option 1: Plug the matts into the inverter directly, and turn the inverter on remotely, maybe program it to come on in the morning.

Option 2: Use something else that can keep track of time/date, like some sort of smart outlet?

Wifi smartplug you can cycle remotely and/or put on a timer. I used to use one to cycle an RV water heater to come on every day at 1pm and allow up to 2 hours of run time to allow the water heater to fully come up to temperature so that it wouldn't freeze overnight.

I use the prior generator of this:

Also can turn on a 12V charger remotely to maintain a lead acid battery on site as well as turn my fridge on and off if needed. It used to matter more because it was an RV absorption fridge that could burn 10kWh/day on AC power.

I would like to also monitor the temps of my batteries. I am going to build an insulated battery box when I'm out there in a few weeks, and I'm not sure what temperature sensor to get. Does it go into the Cerbo GX or the Smart Shunt?

Ruuvi bluetooth sensor connected to Cerbo
Cerbo GX can accept a Quattro/multiplus sensor that attaches to the (-) battery post.
Smartshunt uses BMV sensor that replaces the power wire to the (+) battery post.

Any of the above three can be logged on VRM.

Victron sensors
(Smart Battery Sense can't be logged on VRM)

IMHO, the Ruuvi may be the most flexible allowing placement wherever you deem most appropriate for your situation.

Thanks Waffles. Imma just get the one for the smart shunt, less wiring to run all over the place and can keep it in the battery box, basically. Ruuvi is cool but I don't want the battery to die on it when I'm 1700 miles away.

Thanks Waffles. Imma just get the one for the smart shunt, less wiring to run all over the place and can keep it in the battery box, basically. Ruuvi is cool but I don't want the battery to die on it when I'm 1700 miles away.

Both? :p

I have an absurd # of temp sensors... 3 on the BMS, an SBS (only useful when onsite), 2X Quattro sensors and the BMV sensor. I feel like I'm taking its temperature rectally at this point. The downside is the crazy temperature range I get. Ultimately, the BMS measured temps dictate the behavior, so the rest is just overkill.

My original 12v system, I had put the batteries inside an old chest freezer, then I added an incandescent bulb on a thermostatically controlled switch that would warm up the ambient air in the freezer. Worked great!

My approach is to keep the batteries warm enough all the time so that when the sun comes up they can take a charge. Your plan to build an enclosure that can be heated is the way to go. My warming pads are directly on the cells. Since mine is a DIY battery there is no case for the battery. I then surround the two batteries with rigid foam insulation. That has worked very well the past two years. It requires minimal current, not enough to worry about.

Update on this: My "self heating" litime batteries are still completely useless unless I warm them up, so this is my solution at the moment:

I taped 2 seed starter heating mats on the sides of the batteries, which I have stacked on top of each other. I then wrapped both batteries and the heaters with reflectix, and then about 1.5" of insulation foam.

At the moment, this is not automated at all, but I have the 2 heating mats plugged into the inverter, and early in the morning I log into VRM and turn on the inverter, which takes like 1-2 hours to heat the cells up, so they start taking a charge.

I did get some smart outlets, but I haven't been able to get them to pair to my phone yet.

Back