diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial panel panels half cut on back side?

Rosstafarian

Not sure this has been covered, apologies if it has.
I am mounting 6 bifacial panels on a garden pergola. They will be over a white crushed rock walk way about 8’ off the ground, so I’m hoping to get some have from the backside of the panel.
The racking structure, which is custom made, will cover selected areas of the panel. Basically two 2” cross members will run perpendicular across the back of the panel. That’s all that will shadow the back of the panel except for maybe some grape vine leafs that get out of hand.
Are the beck of the panels half cut? Meaning, if part of the panel is covered the opposite half of the panel or 1/4 of the panel is active? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you.

Attachments

• E97A727F-F681-4278-AEFF-BA4B2EDBA349.jpeg
    E97A727F-F681-4278-AEFF-BA4B2EDBA349.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 24
  • C3C07598-AEE7-44D7-86DE-81AC272FFF31.jpeg
    C3C07598-AEE7-44D7-86DE-81AC272FFF31.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 24
Not sure this has been covered, apologies if it has.
I am mounting 6 bifacial panels on a garden pergola. They will be over a white crushed rock walk way about 8’ off the ground, so I’m hoping to get some have from the backside of the panel.
The racking structure, which is custom made, will cover selected areas of the panel. Basically two 2” cross members will run perpendicular across the back of the panel. That’s all that will shadow the back of the panel except for maybe some grape vine leafs that get out of hand.
Are the beck of the panels half cut? Meaning, if part of the panel is covered the opposite half of the panel or 1/4 of the panel is active? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you.
Yes, it looks like your panels are half cut, with half cut cells.
The half cut cells help with shading, while the half cut panel is actually two panels in parallel. This should help in all kinds of conditions. It looks like your cross beams will not shade the full height of the cells, so it actually might not be as bad as you think. I suppose that at some angles, light will still reflect on those cells from the back.

And any shading you will get on the back side will be diffuse, as the reflected sunlight is not coming from a point source as it would be on the front side. This *should* (from a physics standpoint) mean that unless you have a large, blocky structure stopping the reflected light, you may not notice it much, if at all.

Last edited:
My setup is very similar looking and this time of year I get direct sun on the rear of the panels. They hardly make any power.
I'm very new to this and maybe someone can explain to me why. My panels are half cut and in landscape orientation so the shadows from the verticle rails cut vertically through each half of the panel, and every panel. I'm assuming this is basically shutting the whole panel down.

Back