diy solar

diy solar

Bifacials or no Bifacials on Pergola

Because it’s 8’ or so above the ground (am I correct?) I would go bi-facials. They will look cool.

Does anyone know if they will give a faint deep blue light to everything under them?

Given it’s Florida, I wonder if they block enough of the UV for your purposes.

Also given it’s florida, there will be lots of power either way.

Also, panels on a pergola drip or have you found a way around that?

I’d like to do this one day.

IMG_2110.jpeg

Given it’s Florida, I wonder if they block enough of the UV for your purposes.

Also given it’s florida, there will be lots of power either way.

Also, panels on a pergola drip or have you found a way around that?

I’d like to do this one day.
UV is absorbed by the Glass
Condensation can be addressed with slope, and a trough.
I built mine with glass - not PV panels - What Was I thinking!!!:oops:

From memory, about 75% of UV A passes through glass. It’s pretty close to visible light.

From what I have seen, absobsorptionby glass is
50% UVA (the part that causes cancer)
90% UVB (the part that causes sunburn)

Edit - Did a quick search it depends on the glass, and if there are multi layers/coatings (ie windows not PV)

Last edited:
I was thinking Bi-facials if I was to build one. It was something I was thinking about doing in the near future on the back of my house.

I built a solar pergola a few years ago and wanted to use bifacial panels. When I started quoting it with local contractors, only one would do it. I found that most residential installers only want to install on the roof or a ground mount and did not want to accept the liability of a pergola. My ask was to use bifacial panels, but they couldn’t get a residential bifacial at that time. I went with white backed LG panels. My pergola has a 10 degree tilt to the south and the height is 10’+. If I used a bifacial panel it would have let too much light through, so I am happy with how it turned out.

I built a solar pergola a few years ago and wanted to use bifacial panels. When I started quoting it with local contractors, only one would do it. I found that most residential installers only want to install on the roof or a ground mount and did not want to accept the liability of a pergola. My ask was to use bifacial panels, but they couldn’t get a residential bifacial at that time. I went with white backed LG panels. My pergola has a 10 degree tilt to the south and the height is 10’+. If I used a bifacial panel it would have let too much light through, so I am happy with how it turned out.

Was going with a 10 degree tilt also, just enough to make the water drain off. Will have to look the weight of the bi-facials as I might need to remove them if a major hurricane comes through.

I have a similar question. Except the existing structure is a greenhouse with corrugated roof panels already in place. The structure is sturdy enough for panels, but will the existing clear panels defeat all of the benefit of having bifacial?

The total area available is 16’ wide x 12’ deep…7’ tall at the low end. The lower end of the structure is clear panels with 90% transmission and the upper section has 35% transmission. The floor is white rock…when the plants are out of the greenhouse for 9 months of the year. I’d like to fill the lower section with 7 panels initially.

So, with the reduced transmission corrugated roof, should I still go with bifacial?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Nicely done. Did you notch your 2x8’s or run 2x2 stock between the battens?

I have a similar question. Except the existing structure is a greenhouse with corrugated roof panels already in place. The structure is sturdy enough for panels, but will the existing clear panels defeat all of the benefit of having bifacial?

The total area available is 16’ wide x 12’ deep…7’ tall at the low end. The lower end of the structure is clear panels with 90% transmission and the upper section has 35% transmission. The floor is white rock…when the plants are out of the greenhouse for 9 months of the year. I’d like to fill the lower section with 7 panels initially.

So, with the reduced transmission corrugated roof, should I still go with bifacial?

Thanks for any suggestions!
I think I would still go with the bifacials you still get some light to the back side just not 100 %.

Back