diy solar

diy solar

Bifacials or no Bifacials on Pergola

If the panels cost about the same, what do you have to lose?
If they cost more, then you need to assess if the additional cost justifies the likely difference in PV collection. 10% or so seems likely.

You can tell it wasn‘t hired out.

I’m curious how a greenhouse works in Texas. Seems like it might get pretty warm.

I’ve got some of those lexan panels. Nice in that they block near 100% uv. Mine got about 15 years of use. Only one area has failed. Or something big fell on it.

btw-link doesn’t work for me but I’d like to see it

I’m curious how a greenhouse works in Texas. Seems like it might get pretty warm.

I’ve got some of those lexan panels. Nice in that they block near 100% uv. Mine got about 15 years of use. Only one area has failed. Or something big fell on it.

I’ve thought about using two layers of lexan to create an air gap and some insulation. Use I joists for rafters and cut holes in the webbing to allow air flow. And then hook up an air supply (like they do with dual layer plastic sheet green houses) to clear out condensation. Probably wouldn’t need to run continuously.

Those metal web trusses rather than I joists might be an option too.

HaHa…yep…definitely DIY. Video might work now. Thanks!

Greenhouse works as I hoped. Only need it for December - March in SETexas. I move everything in that needs protecting. All of a sudden we have had multiple years of extreme, very hard freezes. The panels on three sides were designed to be easily removed after winter is over, and the back side closest to the barn is like a big curtain that I open and close between cold snaps. I run a heater during the coldest of days…hoping the solar project for the barn off sets some of the energy used.

Is it easy to adapt pergola framing to make sure the framing members line up with the gaps in the bifacial panels, so as to avoid a complete disaster with backside shading? BC if you shade the backside, what is even the point to go bifacial other than aesthetics and 💪

(and TBH if you shade the backside in a really counterproductive way with framing and someone that knows solar comes over to your house and sees, you’ll get roasted for doing that)

Would microinverters/optimizers be a good idea to compensate for the more inconsistent backside illumination between panels?

Back