diy solar

diy solar

BMS Comms error RS485 RS233

grumpycox

Good evening, new joiner to the group and first post.. also a novice..

So, I have a Growatt SPH 5000 inverter, all working perfectly ok...

Prior to me purchasing the inverter and installing, I joined my uncle in a purchase of batteries from a company called bluesun in China. I purchased 2 x 5.7kw batteries. The batteries were advertised as being compatable with Growatt.

However, when connecting to the inverter I get a BMS Comms fault.

So I figured I'd isolate the problem, initially connecting the batteries via rs233 or rs485 to a PC to ensure they were communicating ok. I have also seen online that similar batteries online, you can change the communication protocol in pbms tools to Growatt..

I have been through 6 USB adaptors of various types, I have now managed to connect to a single battery Via rs485, but as soon as I connect the 2nd battery and tweak the address settings, I get an address error in pbms tools.

I cannot connect via rs232 at all, I get nothing at all.

What I have learned from the connection via rs485, the BMS is PACE. What I have read is that to change the communication protocol to Growatt, this can only be done via rs232, not rs485.

Connection to inverter aside for a moment, I think initially I want to get the batteries connected together and addressed correctly, then move from there, ideally through rs232.

Does anyone have any advice, would be greatly received.

Do you have DIP switches to change the address of the batteries?

I have two Chinese batteries and you can (allegedly!) put 32 in parallel, and set the DIP switches from 1-32. This works with my two batteries, with battery 1 and battery 2... I have a manual for my batteries if you are interested? Can you post a picture of your batteries?

Apologies if this is obvious!

Do you have DIP switches to change the address of the batteries?

I have two Chinese batteries and you can (allegedly!) put 32 in parallel, and set the DIP switches from 1-32. This works with my two batteries, with battery 1 and battery 2... I have a manual for my batteries if you are interested? Can you post a picture of your batteries?

Apologies if this is obvious!
Mate, so sorry, just seen this.. anything is better than nothing, even if can confirm pin outs used from inverter...

Good evening, new joiner to the group and first post.. also a novice..

So, I have a Growatt SPH 5000 inverter, all working perfectly ok...

Prior to me purchasing the inverter and installing, I joined my uncle in a purchase of batteries from a company called bluesun in China. I purchased 2 x 5.7kw batteries. The batteries were advertised as being compatable with Growatt.

However, when connecting to the inverter I get a BMS Comms fault.

So I figured I'd isolate the problem, initially connecting the batteries via rs233 or rs485 to a PC to ensure they were communicating ok. I have also seen online that similar batteries online, you can change the communication protocol in pbms tools to Growatt..

I have been through 6 USB adaptors of various types, I have now managed to connect to a single battery Via rs485, but as soon as I connect the 2nd battery and tweak the address settings, I get an address error in pbms tools.

I cannot connect via rs232 at all, I get nothing at all.

What I have learned from the connection via rs485, the BMS is PACE. What I have read is that to change the communication protocol to Growatt, this can only be done via rs232, not rs485.

Connection to inverter aside for a moment, I think initially I want to get the batteries connected together and addressed correctly, then move from there, ideally through rs232.

Does anyone have any advice, would be greatly received.
I have an Svolt Battery where i also can't connect to via RS485 etc.
Would you mind sharing your Manual and pinouts etc and all you had to do to get the comms on RS485?

Kind Regards

JM Joubert

I have been looking through the forums for a similar answer, and I gave up and posted my own question:
and then saw this post! Which is a very similar problem to the one that I am having.

But, this looks like it is not resolved yet. I do have jumper settings on my battery, however (according to the manual) I have changed it all to 0000 and 1000 in an attempt to communicate with the BMS, failing all the time..

I believe the BMS 304 error is caused by the Cell OVP protect status been triggered on the BMS. I am still looking at how to adjust the PACE BMS parameters to stop this happening.

The problem doesn't appear to happen when charging the batteries from the grid as the Invertors monitors SOC% and stops charging at my specified 90%SOC. However the Growatt battery doesn't have a setting to stop charging the battery from solar based on the SOC% setting and is based on voltage.

I changed my Pack Fullcharge voltage to 56V and the charging seemed to stop, however the cell voltage continued to increase past my set Cell OV protect voltage of 3.65V. Once this triggered the BMS error 304 appeared. The manufacturer advised that although charging stopped the voltage will continue to increase for some time. (unspecified). I've reduced my Pack Fullcharge voltage to 55V with Pack Full Current of 2000mA. Hopefully the charging will stop earlier and then not trigger the OVProtect voltage.

I really dont have any experience in this field but those are my finding so far.

The question for somebody who know more. How do you stop the Growatt invertor charging without triggering the Cell OV protect status?

These are my current settings on the BMS for anybody who can advise better

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 16.00.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-19 at 16.00.11.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 23
Hello,

Sorry coming back to this topic, but anyone had luck fixing this BMS error 304?
There is not much information about this error out there

Back