diy solar

diy solar

Breakers for 48V lithium batteries that get up to 54V of current?

They should be fused internally for any fault there.

The problem with batteries is a gazillion amps in a few seconds can dump through an unprotected wire. I ‘knew’ that but I learned here about 20kA discharge potential and decided that my ‘casual’ habits with batteries needed amending with energy-dense lithium chemistry batteries- because lithium is not only a delicious dessert topping, it’s a floor polish, too.
But I think the circuit breaker that is polarity sensitive can't have current passing through it in both directions, right? The inverter/charger is one unit that will push power to the batteries to charge them when the generator is on, and pull power through the same wires from the batteries to invert to supply the loads. But that circuit breaker in the middle won't like that as far as I understand it, so long as it's polarity sensitive.

The one I'm looking at ... I don't know if it is polarity sensitive or not: https://signaturesolar.com/nader-dc-circuit-breaker-60v-200amp/

What could be a typical box (not a full Panel) to hold a single DC breaker ?

Is there any standard size (minimum inside size 8" x 2" x 5") and openning ( 2.3" x 1.5").

Could plastic could be used, or only metal, for indoor usage, such as having such breaker next to a 16 Cells Li-Ion battery.

DC Breaker Dimensions.jpg

Last edited:
What could be a typical box (not a full Panel) to hold a single DC breaker ?

Is there any standard size (minimum inside size 8" x 2" x 5") and openning ( 2.3" x 1.5").

Could plastic could be used, or only metal, for indoor usage, such as having such breaker next to a 16 Cells Li-Ion battery.

View attachment 135363
did you find a box for the breaker?

Midnite makes them.
1 of a few.
your user name is on the tip of my brain on what it means, but I can't quite decipher it. Yes, I saw these. I was looking for a box for this Midnite 125A panel mount breaker and the midnite box in your link has a 100A max. I'm looking to house this single breaker as a disconnect/breaker for a 48v system.
https://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=16&product_ID=251

user name is on the tip of my brain on what it means, but I can't quite decipher it
Captain of the USS Enterprise or somesuch, exploring new places man has never gone, coming home to a place he'd never been before, left yesterday behind him… You might say he found a key for every door, though Spock would probably debate that with Scotty.

Captain of the USS Enterprise or somesuch, exploring new places man has never gone, coming home to a place he'd never been before, left yesterday behind him… You might say he found a key for every door, though Spock would probably debate that with Scotty.
LOL! Your comment clearly dictates that the goofiness of the few outweighs the wackiness of the many.

Back