diy solar

diy solar

Building inspector & code SECTION R328 ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS - Bluetti

jjpaul

My building inspector (in CT) told me a solar panel on the roof to charge my all-in-one device (Bluetti AC180) needs to be in a fire rated room and referenced
SECTION R328 ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS.

right off the bat I see under 1kw battery is an exception. The AC180 is 1100+ wh.

Is there a fire rated box or cabinet available that can be used? Appreciate any comments. Thank you.

First off, whenever an “Official” tells me anything, I always ask them to write it down & sign their name to it & to quote the applicable codes.

I have gotten strange looks from them, but it has made my life easy. Some have asked why & I just reply, I want it in writing so I understand correctly what they are verbalizing.

By the time that inspector gets done with you you'll have put more into the "fire rated room" than the Bluetti is worth.

Can you switch to a UL-listed AIO without a battery to clear inspection and switch back to the Bluetti after inspection?

Or switch to a UL9540 solution ($$$). Or sell Bluetti and find something 999Wh

I don't know where in the code that says fire-rated room or box is sufficient. I thought it was UL9540 or below size threshold or EV recycling exemption (which is crossed out in your code)

Also it's risky for you to use code amendment from a different state to guide what you do in your own state. Who's to say your state has the same removals and additions. This sounds like a recipe for tears esp for something as expensive as ESS can be.

My building inspector (in CT) told me a solar panel on the roof to charge my all-in-one device (Bluetti AC180) needs to be in a fire rated room and referenced
SECTION R328 ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEMS.

right off the bat I see under 1kw battery is an exception. The AC180 is 1100+ wh.

Is there a fire rated box or cabinet available that can be used? Appreciate any comments. Thank you.
Looks like you can just put it in your basement? Not sure why WA regulations would apply to CT. Looks like they had a big push to have privately owned batteries supporting the grid including paying upto $200 per kWh of installed capacity on the condition it's online between 3pm and 8pm. For a 5kWh rack battery you could get a $1000 back? Get the new cheap basic sok version without display or external comms and that's $1300..., So out of pocket is $300. You could get a rack of 5 for 25kWh (to stay below $7500 total incentive cap) for a total out of pocket cost of $1500...just crazy.

"Customers will be required to deploy their battery every day between 3-8 PM. There is a total upfront incentive cap of $7,500 per project for residential systems. The cap for C&I customer is 50% of the total project cost."

Additional payments could be achieved by participating in day ahead notice peak events.

Looks like you can just put it in your basement? Not sure why WA regulations would apply to CT. Looks like they had a big push to have privately owned batteries supporting the grid including paying upto $200 per kWh of installed capacity on the condition it's online between 3pm and 8pm. For a 5kWh rack battery you could get a $1000 back? Get the new cheap basic sok version without display or external comms and that's $1300..., So out of pocket is $300. You could get a rack of 5 for 25kWh (to stay below $7500 total incentive cap) for a total out of pocket cost of $1500...just crazy.

"Customers will be required to deploy their battery every day between 3-8 PM. There is a total upfront incentive cap of $7,500 per project for residential systems. The cap for C&I customer is 50% of the total project cost."

Additional payments could be achieved by participating in day ahead notice peak events.

I can put it in my basement or garage but I need it for an office in the main living space. I can put it on my covered porch as long as it is 3' from a window and I may look into doing that.
To qualify for those incentives there is income and town location restrictions which I wouldn't meet.
SECTION R328 is the international code and all I could find on google was from WA state website, but applies to CT I would think so posted the link for reference. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Can you switch to a UL-listed AIO without a battery to clear inspection and switch back to the Bluetti after inspection?

Or switch to a UL9540 solution ($$$). Or sell Bluetti and find something 999Wh

I don't know where in the code that says fire-rated room or box is sufficient. I thought it was UL9540 or below size threshold or EV recycling exemption (which is crossed out in your code)

Also it's risky for you to use code amendment from a different state to guide what you do in your own state. Who's to say your state has the same removals and additions. This sounds like a recipe for tears esp for something as expensive as ESS can be.
Inspector mentioned fire rated room. My thought was that a fire rated box would be the same thing but I did not run that by the inspector.

All rooms are fire rated, that is why you cover the walls with sheet rock and not ply wood !!!!
Sounds like your inspector has a wasp up his arse.

Inspector mentioned fire rated room. My thought was that a fire rated box would be the same thing but I did not run that by the inspector.
Not likely. That would be a container, which may affect spacing, but not change the room requirements.

The ESS rebate require an approved installer and approved equipment (communicates with the programs servers to verify discharge). The Bluetti is not approved.

Sounds like your inspector has a wasp up his arse.
Inspector is following UL9540 requirements. They can get technical and follow the testing certificate as to exactly how it was tested (specified by the manufacturer).

CT enforcement level is up to the municipality. In neighboring MA, it is a statewide requirement for fire rated room.

Back